Talk

Advanced search

Very sad incident , (warning) dog related

(10 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Jan-16 23:05:52

Ok.
This happened today, I've been whirling it over in my mind. So I'm going to write it down to make sense (if that;s the right word)

Driving today behind a car , there was a dog, smallish , terrier type, prancing about in the back. The window was a bit open, it kept poking it's nose out.
I was a bit behind the car because I wasn't familiar with the road.

No idea how, but maybe the driver opened the window or the dog stepped on the window button but...........it jumped out.

The car coming towards it had no chance to avoid him.
I slammed on my brakes so I didn't rearend the car in front.

The noise. Oh the noise sad
The whump of the car hitting the dog, it's howl sad

I felt so sorry for the driver who hit it, you don;t expect that do you.
And the owner who had to lift his lifeless pet off the road.
And that little dog who was put in that situation.

And truth be known, me, who saw it .

I gave my number to both parties , but left them to sort it out basically. Don't know if there was any damage to the car.

Small conce=olation, it was quick sad

SecretNutellaFix Fri 22-Jan-16 23:15:52

I'm so sorry.

I admit- I get very angry when I see dogs unrestrained in cars. Because you can never tell if something like this is going to happen. There was nothing you could have done.

VimFuego101 Fri 22-Jan-16 23:27:59

Oh that's terrible sad I hope you're OK OP. I saw a dog hit by a car when I was probably 5 or so (30 years ago) and I can still remember it all in horrific detail.

Wolfiefan Fri 22-Jan-16 23:31:34

Oh how awful. Lovely of you to have stopped. That must have been really horrific though. X

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 22-Jan-16 23:34:14

Thank you, yes, I;ve been thinking about it all day a bit.

The dog's owner did say , "But he's always good in the car" ! maybe his elbow budged the window button (no child locks? )

Not my place to apportion blame but , yes, I often see dogs looking out of windows, more so in summer.

Poor soul

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 22-Jan-16 23:40:29

That's absolutely heartbreaking, awful for everyone. Sorry you seen that op wine

Wolfiefan Fri 22-Jan-16 23:41:24

I bet you, the owner and the other driver were all in shock. Dogs with their heads out the window or loose in the car really make me nervous
Sorry this happened and you had to see it. I can't imagine. Xx

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 22-Jan-16 23:58:55

God how awful. What a stupid accident. That poor dog.

Reminds me of the time I saw a car with two Newfoundland type dogs on the back seat. One emergency stop and the driver would have been flattened as well as the dogs.

AlpacaLypse Sat 23-Jan-16 00:07:39

flowers OP

Our dogwalking vans are set up to avoid any possibility of this stuff, but even with all our precautions awful things can and do still happen.

My reading is that nobody did anything wrong. Owners aren't obliged to set up full crating in the back, and 99 out of 100 dogs don't need that level anyway. We have full crating for our clients (I run a large dogwalking and pet care agency), but as a matter of fact only three out of over 100 dogs actually need full crating. But once in a while a dog will do daft twit stuff sad

Beastly experience and huge hugs.

Shriek Sat 23-Jan-16 11:16:26

thats awful to have experienced, and it must be very raw for you at the moment. The poor ddog having to lose its life because the owner didn't restrain it. I suppose some cars could have buttons that loose ddogs can stand on. How awful for everyone sad

I often see ddogs head poking out of windows whilst cars moving at speed and it always worries me that exactly this would happen and i don't want to witness it! Also ddogs sitting on laps in the front! where they would be smashed into the windscreen in the emergency stop situation.

I thought it was law now for ddogs to be restrained?

So sorry OP, i hope it eases for you soon, and glad you spoke of it as its making everyone aware how easy this happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now