Talk

Advanced search

Found a dog, got him home, he's very stressed what do I do to help?

(32 Posts)
Madblondedog Fri 22-Jan-16 16:41:59

We've been to the vets, no chip. Waiting on dog warden, seperated him from mine as mine is scared but he's so stressed.

How can I help?

Twitterqueen Fri 22-Jan-16 16:44:25

Sit on the floor next to him maybe? And stroke him if he'll let you.
Get a blanket and see if he'll let you put it over him?
Find a small corner under a worktop, where he'll feel safe and make a nest for him. My dog always loved her crate and anything she can curl up in.
Put on some soothing music...

Madblondedog Fri 22-Jan-16 16:47:18

He's a bit big for under a worktop smile I'm sat on the floor and he keeps coming to say hi, then going off. I gave him a little bit of food and some water. He's so tired but trying hard to stay awake poor dude, he's so handsome

AlpacaLypse Fri 22-Jan-16 16:49:18

If you can face looking on Facebook, our local noticeboard is often used to try and find missing dogs.

Twitterqueen Fri 22-Jan-16 16:55:25

What breed? Is he a stray do you think, or genuinely lost? Hot (warm) water bottle wrapped in a towel?

Madblondedog Fri 22-Jan-16 16:58:28

He's been shared on all the fb pages in the area. He's defiantly owned as he knows sit and paw. Doesn't jump up, happily went in the car to the vets and back. Hes got a collar but no name tag and a chip that's not registered. I think he's a German shepherd. He's finally crashed out asleep but if I move he jumps back awake. I'm in the bad book with mine for sitting with him not mine

Hes bloody lovely actually.

mrsjskelton Fri 22-Jan-16 18:14:31

He's just anxious bless him, strange home, doesn't know your routine, misses his owner... Probably best to just move around deliberately and not surprise him. Give him a treat or two and access to his own water close by. Give him time in your garden with or without your other dogs depending on how he's reacted to them and I'm sure he'll relax a little!

Scone1nSixtySeconds Fri 22-Jan-16 18:45:14

Have you posted him on the dog lost website?

Madblondedog Fri 22-Jan-16 19:29:43

He's on every website I could find, the dog warden wouldn't let me keep him for the weekend (I didn't want him to be in a kennel) but has promised to keep me up to date.

He had a long nap until I HAD to pee so disturbed him

AlpacaLypse Sat 23-Jan-16 23:14:32

Just scrolling back through TIO, how are things OP? I must admit I went to bed last night wondering! We took in a lost dog under vaguely similar circumstances a couple of years ago, when owner turned up (eventually) I felt a bit concerned, he was so very obviously recovering from a massive hangover and (I have strong reasons to suspect) police custody.

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Sat 23-Jan-16 23:17:02

How is he? Hope he gets home soon.

Madblondedog Sat 23-Jan-16 23:36:02

The dog warden wouldn't let me keep him for the weekend, I asked if I could just use them for help finding an owner and got a no. My boy was a bit wary as he was much bigger too but I could have worked around it for the weekend.

As far as I know he's not gone home yet, going to call up on monday to see how he is. Really hoping he's home as he was such a sweetie (just a giant one)

AlpacaLypse Sun 24-Jan-16 00:14:35

flowers Let us know how you get on.

I do know a rescue that has a soft spot for GSDs and their crosses.

Madblondedog Mon 25-Jan-16 16:17:58

He's still with the dog warden, I am so sad. He howled all Friday night in the kennel apparently, I wish I could have had him here and then I could have at least slept with in the room with both dogs.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 25-Jan-16 16:30:27

Oh poor thing! I do hope he's claimed soon!

wickedlazy Mon 25-Jan-16 16:33:56

Are you thinking of adopting him?

Madblondedog Mon 25-Jan-16 16:50:48

The thought has crossed my mind Wickedlazy grin

He would need castrating first and I think ddog would need to meet him again to see how they get on when he's less humpy.

We have been considering a second dog but we were thinking more along the cocker spaniel end of the spectrum (i.e. not a mahusive thing) but I got very fond of him in a very short period of time.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 25-Jan-16 16:53:28

Two dogs make good sense and there is nothing more loving than a rescue dog wink

Madblondedog Mon 25-Jan-16 17:02:45

If he was a smaller dog I would be really pushing for it, I'm just worried as we do have some friends and family with dog phobias (luckily ddog is perfect for them as he is as soppy as they come).

Wombat87 Mon 25-Jan-16 17:17:21

Mad PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE keeping him!!!

wickedlazy Mon 25-Jan-16 17:18:04

We had a rottweiler when we were kids, he was huge, but really docile and laid back. Loved lying curled up in front of the fire. Cocker spaniels although smaller, are way more hyper.

wickedlazy Mon 25-Jan-16 17:19:40

Size isn't everything. It would be lovely if he had an owner missing him who would find out where he is and come forward, maybe an older person, but that's not always the case.

Madblondedog Mon 25-Jan-16 17:26:18

Wombat I want to, I am going to call again on Wednesday to see how he is.

I know size isn't everything, but it is an issue. For example things like them both in the car when we go on holiday and when you're asking friends to dog sit when you're out for the day.

I do have a friend who is interested, as I sold him so well to them.

DorynownotFloundering Mon 25-Jan-16 17:52:29

How mean of your warden sad Probably local policy.

Ours always lets finders keep strays for a bit in case it's a local, rather than put them in a horrible kennel overnight.

Poor boy howling all night sad

Madblondedog Mon 25-Jan-16 17:56:32

Yeah he said he would if he could.

I do believe him and he sounds like he's been spending a lot of time with the dog as he's told me all the tricks he knows (turns out loads!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now