Talk

Advanced search

Sudden seperation anxiety / neediness

(4 Posts)
diplodocus Fri 22-Jan-16 10:48:21

DDog is now 2.5 - we got her when she was about 5 months from a rescue, and she's certainly had her issues with anxiety. However, she's always been fine to be left, and has gone to bed no problem and slept through the night with a few very rare exceptions when she's had an upset stomach. All of a sudden she seems to hate being left downstairs by herself when we're all upstairs (she's not allowed upstairs)- she barks insistently if we don't give in and come down. She also barks when we go to bed. When I sit with her she presses herself against my legs for comfort and contact - before this she's always been quite reserved. There's someone around all day most days so she's not left much. I try not to go down when she's barking and only go and see her and make a fuss once she's stopped but this is quite difficult as she'll go on for ages and we're often all upstairs while the kids are going to bed / trying to sleep and she keeps them awake. Nothing has changed in our routines and she's her usual happy, active self during the day so don't think she's unwell or anything. I don't think anything has happened to frighten her. I've tried leaving her chews etc. to take her mind of it. It's a really marked change in behaviour - any ideas?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 22-Jan-16 13:10:41

Could you leave the radio on low? It could be because of the sudden quietness...I'm struggling to think why the onset would suddenly come on without reason. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will be along soon!

diplodocus Fri 22-Jan-16 13:22:58

Bernards - thanks, but we always have the radio on where she is anyway - maybe she's upset by a plot line in the Archers?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 22-Jan-16 14:09:42

Ah bugger. Could be wink maybe she prefers the shipping forecast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now