Talk

Advanced search

Puppy eating nicotine tablets...

(35 Posts)
EasyToEatTiger Wed 20-Jan-16 18:50:01

I think she is an addict. She seems ok in herself and I have not yet taken her to the vet. Will they pass through or should she go to the vets? The pills are in humanly inpenetrable casing and out of the way (I thought). Bloody bloody dog.

Crumpet1 Wed 20-Jan-16 18:51:41

I would ring your vet now.

abbsismyhero Wed 20-Jan-16 18:53:51

nicotine is toxic to dogs vets asap

YoureMyWifeNowDave Wed 20-Jan-16 18:55:16

My dog ate a strip of nicotine gum when she was younger and had to spend the night at the vets - she was ok but nicotine is quite toxic so I would definitely call your vet

TrionicLettuce Wed 20-Jan-16 18:55:22

Yep, vets immediately. At the very least ring but I'd be taking her down straight away.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 20-Jan-16 19:32:15

Vets, now. As others have already said nicotine is toxic to dogs.

EasyToEatTiger Wed 20-Jan-16 19:57:20

Thank you all for your advice. I have not had a moment today to take her to the vet. Her behaviour is normal; her appearence, appetite, bowel goings on... are all normal. The only thing I noticed was a chewed up packet on the floor this morning. It is possible, indeed likely that the packet only had 1 or 2 pills left, but you can't see. I am v busy this week but will tell dh to watch out for symtoms. He's pretty good at noticing any change.

Wolfiefan Wed 20-Jan-16 19:58:16

NO VET. NOW. NICOTINE IS POISONOUS.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Jan-16 20:16:00

Nicotine can cause tremors, tachycardia, bradycardia, respiratory depression, convulsions, coma and ventricular arrhythmias all of which unmanaged can lead to death. If the nicotine containing product contains xylitol to problems can be even greater.

Wolfiefan Wed 20-Jan-16 20:44:15

You haven't had a moment?
People are saying your dog could die!
angry

lougle Wed 20-Jan-16 21:02:40

No its fiiine... don't worry at all. Dogs only get ill when people aren't busy. If you're too busy it will all be OKsmile

In fantasy land. hmm

KinkyAfro Wed 20-Jan-16 21:04:26

Make time and get the dog to the vets, how will you feel if she dies?

WeAllHaveWings Wed 20-Jan-16 22:14:57

Hope you've managed to get your poor pup to the vets?

TheoriginalLEM Wed 20-Jan-16 22:18:29

So you had a moment to post on here about your "bloody dog" but you didn't have a moment to call up the vets to ask advice on what to do?? hmm

<shakes head>

TheoriginalLEM Wed 20-Jan-16 22:27:18

Whilst nicotine is thought to be a fast acting toxin, the fact that the tablets sound like slow release worries me because your dog has not shown symptoms yet, however if she does start to become affected then the chances are she will deteriorate quickly. Some nicotine tablets also contain xylotol which is extremely toxic to dogs.

I strongly advise you to call your vet or OOH service for advice on what to look for.

If it was my dog, i'd not be waiting for symptoms.

I am stunned you haven't sought veterinary advice.

nmg85 Wed 20-Jan-16 23:06:36

What is wrong with you? Get off here and call the vet. Are you going to monitor the dog all night or just hope nothing has happened in the morning! How irresponsible can you be!

I hope the OP is at the vet with her puppy now.

Crumpet1 Thu 21-Jan-16 10:09:47

Have you sorted it op? I would at the very least find time to ring the vet and asses their level of panic. They're the experts.

Shriek Thu 21-Jan-16 11:10:17

she's a puppy, and interestingly you say she's eating them, and is an addict - how long has she been eating them for? Did you stop her?
You were worried enough on some level to come ask for the reactions you had here

I really hope poor dpup is ok? please do come back and let us know and that you have taken everyone's alarmed reaction to act to get dpup checked

EasyToEatTiger Thu 21-Jan-16 11:15:36

Just to catch up. Thank you everyone. I spoke to the vet. She was not worried about the nicotine and said it would have gone through. She told me to look up the ingredients in the pills and I went through them with her. No xylotol. I think it is in a lot of sugar-free sweets, but not in these things. I will have to keep all these pills in a bank vault.

KinkyAfro Thu 21-Jan-16 12:11:30

I call bollocks

Branleuse Thu 21-Jan-16 12:13:48

wtf??

TheoriginalLEM Thu 21-Jan-16 14:31:54

I can see that by the time the OP eventually called the vet, if the dog was going to react to the tablets it would have done so by then.

But come on OP, this was not in any way funny or lighthearted as your OP seemed to be more about the frustration of the dog eating the tablets. Please please please be more responsible about keeping medication away from your dog and FGS if you have children then make sure they can't get to them too.

Now i know that paragraph might seem a bit patronising as if i was talking to someone who doesn't have a clue but well..........based on the evidence.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-Jan-16 23:16:59

I'm sorry you've had such a bashing Tiger and I have to say in your defence that I wouldn't have known either. I do know though that you are a sensible and responsible dog owner, from several chats we've had before, and everyone makes mistakes. So back off people.

Wolfiefan Thu 21-Jan-16 23:20:20

Um sensible and responsible?
The OP posts a "lighthearted" thread about dog eating pills.
Lots of people pile on and tell OP to consult a vet.
OP can't be arsed doesn't have time.
Eventually rouses self to make a phone call. By which time the dog could have died?
Sensible?
Responsible?
confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now