Any advice on cataract surgery for a 13 year old?

(5 Posts)
JacksSkellington Tue 19-Jan-16 22:50:15

She's a collie cross, diagnosed with diabetes on Monday after an initial visit to the vets last week.

We noticed she was stepping over something that was no longer there last week. Looks like cataracts have come on in a matter of days and although she can still get about ok, her vision has suffered.

We're fully prepared to pay for cataract surgery if a vet believes it's safe at her age and it has a good chance of working.

Any advice on surgery for a dog of this age? Vet thought she was younger than she is and her kidney, liver and blood cell count results are fine. Vet seemed very unconcerned about her eyes and said she would adapt better than we could imagine.

We're heartbroken but she still seems happy. Still wagging her tail, appetite as good as ever. She's bumping into the odd thing but managing ok at the moment.

JacksSkellington Wed 20-Jan-16 20:28:34

Bumping for any advice.

We tried her with a ball tonight and she could see it when it was close, and she enjoyed playing, but she clearly was guessing some of the time to find it sad

ChairRider4 Wed 20-Jan-16 21:04:22

No advice on surgery but what about a ball that has a bell in it

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Jan-16 21:32:00

I gave had several diabetics go for cataract surgery and they have all done really well. But their Diabetes needs to be really stable first and this takes time, hence why your vet is less concerned about the cataracts at the moment.
I have more diabetic patients who haven't glad the surgery who have really happy active lives despite the cataracts.

JacksSkellington Wed 20-Jan-16 21:42:19

We're getting her a ball with a bell tomorrow!

Lonecat, thank you so much, that's made me feel better. She's been on insulin since Monday and is back at the vet's tomorrow. Already she's back to normal levels of drinking water so I'm hoping that's a good sign?

I was hoping things could happen quickly but possibly not. The vet said she could be stable in 2-3 weeks if she responds well?

I'm just worried she's going to hurt herself if this carries on too much longer. She's managing but is still bumping into things and I'm scared when she comes down the stairs sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now