Advanced search

Pup didn't have first vaccinations til 12 weeks, am worried the delay in socialisation with other dogs will be an issue

(11 Posts)
BackInTheRealWorld Sat 16-Jan-16 15:18:39

If we kept away from dog parks would it ever be ok just to give him little walks in the street? Am getting conflicting advice.
I don't really know anyone with dog to come and see him in our home. He is already quite big to carry.

BackInTheRealWorld Sat 16-Jan-16 15:19:22

To add, his vaccs won't be completely over til Feb.

Cheerfulmarybrown Sat 16-Jan-16 16:07:36

Don't worry just get proactive. Get your dog out and about. Do you have friends that have vaccinated dogs? Go to their house to meet them, carry your dog into the dog parks etc so that they can see the interaction between other dogs. You say he is big to carry but I think you have to or you could get a dog push chair to carry him in. Many puppy classes will take puppies if they have had their first vaccination so find out about these in you area.

I would not walk my dog on the pavement until vaccinations were complete

(Personally I do take my dogs out to places before their vaccination is complete BUT and a big BUT this is an informed decision based on my area and the dogs and places I go.)

CaptainKit Sat 16-Jan-16 16:33:23

Some puppy classes will allow unvaccinated pups, or rather pups who have had their first jab but haven't yet completed the course. I think my vets did one for really young pups whilst they were between jabs. Might be an idea to ring around and see if there are any local puppy groups you could go along to.

It's not the end of the world if you're a little delayed in your socialisation as long as you make it positive once your pup's all jabbed up. One of my dogs was 4 months old when I got him, and he'd been picked on by the other dogs in the pound, and then was shipped over here from Eastern Europe, so was a frightened mess when he arrived. He's 2 1/2 now and is perfect with other dogs. So it's definitely not the end of the world if your pup's a bit late to meet other dogs.

Whilst waiting for his second jab, you can be getting on with other things - start training the basics; sit, down, paw, wait, etc. Get him used to the noisy things in the house - vacuum cleaner, washing machine, all that stuff.

Claraoswald36 Sat 16-Jan-16 19:02:47

I read masses on this for the same worry. So I read the beach is one of the lowest risk areas for pavovirus if there's one near you?

pigsDOfly Sat 16-Jan-16 19:25:23

Wouldn't let him down on the street until all his vacs are done but he does need to get out and about if possible: meeting different types of people, different street furniture, cars, lorries etc.

My puppy trainer gave us a list that included such things as people in hats, men with beards, people with glasses, buggies, wheelchairs etc.

Also getting out and having new experiences will wear him out a bit more than just being around the house.

BackInTheRealWorld Sat 16-Jan-16 21:56:59

Thanks all. I took him out in my arms earlier and we sat on a bench by the road watching the traffic.
I do live by the sea Clara - though the local beach is very popular dog walking area so I'm not sure about that for us.
He starts in a puppy class in a week and a half so I guess I need to just be patient and hope for the best.
My last dog was a rescue dog. Very highly strung and hated dogs. It was quite stressful and not much fun being out with her tbh - although she was the worlds biggest sweetheart with people.

Scone1nSixtySeconds Sun 17-Jan-16 07:27:02

This is interesting. When we got SconeSpaniel at 11 weeks the vet said that the advice regarding vaccinations had changed.

According to our vet (and when I double checked the forum on Champdogs also agreed) a puppy that has stayed with its mother until 11 or 12 weeks actually has better natural immunity than a homed puppy with 2 injections of the same age.

Thus I took SconeSpaniel everywhere a week after his first injection (ie 12 weeks old) and he was fine.

ImBrian Sun 17-Jan-16 13:35:20

My pup had his first injection at 11 weeks, the vet said because he was over 10 weeks when he had it that he could go out before the second one.

BackInTheRealWorld Sun 17-Jan-16 17:18:34

I had to drop something in at the vets earlier so I spoke to them about it...and am just going to persevere for the next couple of weeks - it's just not worth the risk. I would be devastated if I ignored instructions and then he got poorly because of it.
It's going to be a loooong couple of weeks though...

Scottandcharlene Sun 17-Jan-16 18:17:55

We recently had our puppy vaccinated and the vet said as we live on a farm the biggest risk is leptospirosis. He told us our puppy won't be fully covered until 3 weeks after the final injection, but he told us we could take her out on pavements and low-dog areas after the second jab. He said it's a very low risk for parvo where we live. We are keeping her away from the farmyard until she's fully covered. The advice has changed completely since our last puppy (5years ago). One advantage of the very wet winter is that the roads and pavements are washed frequently by all the rain so might be less risky?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now