Talk

Advanced search

Puppy eating (his own) poo

(10 Posts)
SmileAndNod Thu 14-Jan-16 12:41:39

I mean what is that about? Unless I can clear up immediately he's eating his own poo. Surely he can't be hungry, or lacking in something? This is outside, we haven't had a poo accident indoors for a while (he's 4 months now). He has plenty of things to play with, treats / chews during the day. Should I take him to the vet do you think? I know dogs roll in animal poo, but eating their own is just horrible

massivearse Thu 14-Jan-16 12:43:47

It's an instinct- so that predators can't sniff out the dogs' den. He'll grow out of it.

Mothers (dogs obvs) do it as well.

KinkyAfro Thu 14-Jan-16 16:41:48

My dog still does it and she's just turned 3. If I don't pick it up as she does it, it's gone. I was that giving your dog pineapple helps....didn't work for me

babyblackbird Thu 14-Jan-16 16:53:04

Another one who's dog does this at age 18 months, he also eats other dogs poos! I've given up trying to stop him, apparently a rock solid leave it command is what you need but although mine will leave food etc out down infront oh him, it doesn't work when he is 20 yards away from me with his head stuck in a bush.

RoseDog Thu 14-Jan-16 16:56:18

Apparently if you give them pineapple they won't eat their own poo as they are not so keeen on it when its been through the digestive system.

pigsDOfly Thu 14-Jan-16 17:28:02

My dog used to eat the cats' poo out of the litter tray if I didn't managed to get to it first.

Dogs are just delightful.

SmileAndNod Thu 14-Jan-16 17:48:59

Apart from the nipping, the barking, and now eating his own poo he is lovely. Being a baby beagle he's still very much into doing his own thing and wanting to eat constantly. Training is an ongoing battle process

Nice to know that's he's not a complete oddball though and I'm sure I have a pineapple lurking somewhere...

babyblackbird Thu 14-Jan-16 17:49:25

Op is he a lab by any chance ? ( mine is, and apparently they are partic bad because they are so greedy !)

SmileAndNod Thu 14-Jan-16 18:12:08

No, he's a beagle - also prone to eating anything they can get their paws on!

ImBrian Thu 14-Jan-16 21:11:16

My 16 week old pup (who's been clean for a couple of weeks) just decided to crap in one of the kids rooms and was caught in the act of scarfing it down!!! I'm now wondering if he's actually been clean or if he's been 'cleaning up' after himself confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now