Talk

Advanced search

Best anti pull harness/headcollar?

(18 Posts)
Greyhorses Tue 12-Jan-16 09:04:04

Question In title really but I am really struggling to walk 60kg of dogs at 23 weeks pregnant with horrific sciatica blush

Dog1 walks nicely but is strong, dog2 is an 11 month old nervous aggressive idiot who loves to lunge and bark at people and dogs and drag me around.

I have gentle leaders at the moment but even in these I am struggling. I already attend dog training but with dog2 progress is slow.

Any ideas?

AnUtterIdiot Tue 12-Jan-16 13:47:41

My friend had great results with a Halti on a Rottweiler but you do have to remember to get a properly fitted one and not jerk the lead.

One of my friends swears the best way to get a dog to walk properly on the lead is to thread the lead under one front leg but i've never tried it and can't honestly say I fancy it.

Pocketrocket31 Tue 12-Jan-16 13:58:01

Halti I'd say, but my dog isn't as big as yours. 50k German Shepard. But along with with that I bought 1 of those dog treats no idea on the name. Looks like a roll on deodorant & they lick the ball. It's worked wonders on him with distracting him and reinforcing good behaviour

Cheerfulmarybrown Tue 12-Jan-16 17:18:23

I don't love head collars and training as you know is better but in situations like yours (when your safety and the babies safety is utmost) try a dogmatic If it fits your dog it will be fantastic. It is very sturdy comfortable. I would not get the leather one. Problem is not all dogs fit the sizing.

mrslaughan Tue 12-Jan-16 21:58:36

I second the dogmatic, works really well with my giant breed. I like it because it's like a horse head collar.....gives you control of the head, without it tightening around the muzzle.
I know my sister had a little trouble with the fitting for her Labrador, but it is a family run company and got great support through the website , and has the right size now.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Wed 13-Jan-16 16:14:09

I quite like our ruffwear harness, using the attachment between the front legs. Whenever my 50k beast tries to pull she gets turned around the other way and quickly learned it's not worth it.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Sun 17-Jan-16 17:20:25

I was going to say Gentle Leader as I can manage my 42kg dog with one, but I see you already use them. Can you walk your dogs individually? 60kg is a lot to handle, especially when one of them lunges (which can be really unbalancing can't it!).

Greyhorses Sun 17-Jan-16 17:32:04

Thank you to all of you!
I looked into dogmatic but they have strange shaped faces, I might email the company and see what they suggest.

Sorry combined they are at least 60kg grin one is around 35 and the other 25. The smaller one is the most trouble and she is the lunging one.

I was debating starting to walk them seperately which would be much easier however they hate being alone so I can't see how I can leave one in the house without the other and not have drama. The one left behind would howl and cry until I came back and then I would have to repeat the whole thing with the second one confused

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 17-Jan-16 17:33:33

I use a halti or the dogmatic for my St. Both work really well just depends which I grab 1st. I only had the halti during my last pregnancy & didn't have any problems.

landrover Sun 17-Jan-16 18:52:03

Canny Collar is brill!

user1476954592 Thu 20-Oct-16 10:19:12

My dog Stanley was pulling and I have tried many dog head collars, and though they have worked well, none of them were comfortable and actually stopped him pulling. I did a bit of research and the Gencon all in one had the best review, So I brought it and it's the best thing ever!!! I cannot tell you enough how good it is! My dog's coat is thick and the Gencon works really well as it does not matt his coat like other headcollars i have tried. It doesn't rub or go up into their eyes, my dog also doesn't struggle to get out of it which is really good news!

tabulahrasa Thu 20-Oct-16 11:50:42

I can't see a dogmatic working any better than a gentle leader TBH, they work the same way...I mean, dogmatic tend to sit slightly better and are sturdier, but it's not like the lead is in a different place or they're a hugely different shape to what you have already.

Floralnomad Thu 20-Oct-16 11:58:44

I like the Canny collar better than the normal type headcollars

MrsSpenserGregson Thu 20-Oct-16 12:00:32

I swear by a figure-of-eight rope lead which, like you, I used on the Labradors when I was pregnant and had babies in pushchairs etc..... It is brilliant!! Something like this one pictured which I just found via Google / eBay, but your local pet shop may have something similar (I don't think thei is the same as the dogmatic, but am not familiar with the easy leader so apologies if this is repeating what others have said!)

Sparklywine Thu 20-Oct-16 12:02:01

A forum I'm on recommends Walk your dog with Love harnesses for pully pooches, think they are available on Amazon. Might be worth a look at the reviews.
Good luck!

TooManyButtons Thu 20-Oct-16 12:11:43

I have a Walk Your Dog With Love harness for my extremely pully spaniel, it works like magic, it's easy to put on and he's comfortable wearing it.

sycamore54321 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:27:05

I'm not familiar with the brand names here so apologies if this is the same thing. We had great success with a front-clipping body harness for our old dog. Basically any model where the lead attaches in the centre of the chest rather than on the back. I have no idea why it worked but it was miraculous.

SoMuchRoomForActivities Mon 24-Oct-16 14:46:45

https://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/14851

This thing is brilliant. Works instantly and our boy is very strong. Great Dane cross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now