Talk

Advanced search

Just adopted a greyhound! Any experienced grey wranglers out there with diet tips?

(32 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Sat 09-Jan-16 21:26:45

Brought him home yesterday. He is a dream. Perfect gentleman and very quick to learn (had no recall on the name he's had for the last five years, and we didn't like it much so changed it - he started answering to the new name after three goes).

I've had dogs (including big dogs) before, but he's our first grey. The only issue that we have at the moment is that he's very farty. I am aware that this is common in greyhounds and I also realise that it will be worse at the moment due to the big change. Having said that, I would like to minimise it if I can so that I can blame my own parping on him.

He's underweight at the moment, having been off his food in kennels (he had been rehomed once but it didn't work out). They were feeding him a mix of complete dry greyhound food + wet food or a tin of tuna + coconut oil (wet food I assume to try and get him interested in food and coconut oil for his coat). I thought I'd start the anti-fart campaign by subbing more kibble for the wet food and putting an upturned bowl in his food bowl to slow him down - he's certainly having no problems with the kibble alone here! - and then try taking out the coconut oil if that doesn't help. I've also read that charcoal biscuits can help and that yoghurt might help. Does anyone have any other things that I can try?

PS why don't more people adopt greyhounds? He is the bollocks.

CMOTDibbler Sat 09-Jan-16 22:07:52

Aw, pointies are the best (and a whole world of collar and coat buying opens up to you), but they do fart! A lot of sighthounds are intolerant to wheat, and my lurchers need grain free food. Life is happiest on Burns pork and potato, but Vitalin sensitive works as well. They like sardines which are great for their coat, or some Butchers in gravy (ddog1 is really fussy and won't just eat kibble) mixed in.

Its taken us a lot of experimentation to find the foods that agree with them - and some of the expensive apparently hypoallergenic foods have not worked at all - so buy small bags to begin with!

AnUtterIdiot Sat 09-Jan-16 22:14:25

Don't even get me STARTED on the coat plans I have. Or the jumper knitting plans.

I wonder if he does need grain free food actually - one to bear in mind, thanks very much smile

MagratGarlikAgain Sat 09-Jan-16 22:23:58

No advise on the farty aspect, but congrats on your new family member. We have a whippet and a lurcher (grey x whippet, we think) and both are rescues. Pointy dogs are just the best!

I can recommend Milgi coats for your hounds wardrobe requirements (your dog will end up with more coats and collars than you have) and I like Silver Peacock for collars, but only because their collars fit our awkward lurcher the best. I know others on here have different preferences.

In terms of food, when we have time, we feed ours raw, but otherwise we give them Harrington's, which they seem to do quite well on. I also give them fish once a week and fish oil every day.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 09-Jan-16 22:32:05

Our lurcher has Dr John (silver) complete working dog food with a tablespoon of Sainsbob's own wet food and a dash of sunflower oil to perk it up. I save leftover gravy for him and he scoffles all the plate scrapings after the humans' tea as well.

He only tends to be farty in the car for some reason.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 09-Jan-16 22:35:28

I had a greyhound who we fed dry kibble. Think it was called super value working greyhound. Needs to be low protein to stop the farts.

Readysteadyknit Sat 09-Jan-16 22:42:14

Congratulations - greys are fantastic pets.

My greyhound was very underweight when I got him and it was difficult to get him interested in food. He has thrived on raw feeding and now wolfs his dinner down. He has got relatively good teeth for a greyhound so can cope with bones. He also had farts that would clear a room and mahoosive poos - he still farts but they aren't so frequent and noxious and I no longer need 2 bags to pick up his poo.

Chillywhippet Sat 09-Jan-16 22:43:04

Our whippets have sensitive tummies and I was recommended Burgess Sensitive on this board. It comes in lamb and rice, salmon and rice and turkey and rice. The lamb and salmon suited their tummies best but they prefer the lamb.

It is sold in B&M bargains but I try to order it in 2 large sacks at a time. It's much better quality than what they were on before but not top, top end in price. Thier coats are shiny. Girl whippet's dry skin patches have gone and boy whippets bald patch on his tail has grown hair. Result! Much less wind and tummy rumbling too.

It's all trial and error though. But some of the expensive hypoallergenic had too much protein for them I think so while it was grain free it was too rich.

Good luck. Let us see a picture of the lucky dog smile

Tinseleverywhere Sat 09-Jan-16 22:46:32

Mine's not a greyhound, but I give her some charcoal biscuits for that issue and I think it helps.

Scuttlebutter Sat 09-Jan-16 23:46:44

No matter how good your anti-fart diet, you can always guarantee that a greyhound will emit eye watering farts when you have important visitors e.g. MIL, vicar for tea etc. I often think a Yankee candle should be provided with every adoption pack.

We've currently got three greys and a lurcher, and have over the years tried all sorts of diets including raw. Rather depressingly, I can only tell you that it varies considerably dog to dog and you will gradually learn via trial and error what works and what doesn't for your particular dog (subject to the Visitor rule mentioned above). Currently, our lurcher is doing very nicely and is pretty much fart free on Fish4Dogs (it's grain free and a lot of dogs find fish very easy to digest). The other three are on a mix of kibble and a rotating addition of occasional tinned, oily fish (mackerel and sardines for their coats) plus some tinned dog, plus occasional liver/mince/chicken (whatever i find is reduced in supermarket). One of the four is both toothless and incredibly picky and I could probably write a book on creating tempting little morsels for her.

Many of the dog food companies will gladly provide you with samples if you give them a call, or you can buy small sample packs.

I've never found any need to buy a specific greyhound food - once they retire, they are simply a large dog.

I've not fallen for the current fad of coconut oil, but swear by regular meals of oily fish to really help their skin/coat. A lot of them are prone to quite dry skin and their coats can be quite scurfy/rough when they first come out of kennels. A few months of regular grooming, and good diet will ensure a beautiful glossy coat (and yes, they do moult!!)

AnUtterIdiot Sun 10-Jan-16 02:07:42

Wow, thanks! No photos yet as it's quite hard to keep him still enough but he's a tall black greyhound with white blaze on his chest and four white socks. And he is just brilliant grin.

I was hoping to manage his teeth with dentistix but from what you're all saying I am going to need to invest in a canine toothbrush, right?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 10-Jan-16 09:16:20

Get him used to tooth brushing ASAP. Mine would never let me and then died having a dental at the vets.

SouthBySouthWest Sun 10-Jan-16 09:31:05

Welcome to the club!

We adopted 2 gorgeous black greyhounds in the last year and they are the best. Very farty to start with but that stopped when we changed their diet. We feed them Arden Grange chicken and rice and they love it. The only time they get noxious now is when they steal our food. Bread seems to be irresistible to them so we have to watch out grin

You'll soon find out how clear your kitchen worktops need to be of food to stop the stealing!

sooperdooper Sun 10-Jan-16 09:40:16

Congrats on your new hound, greyhounds are the best dogs and more people should adopt them smile

Ours has a tendency for super stinky pongs on occasion (has cleared the room when guests are round blush ) - we've settled on a dry kibble, it's all natural & free of additives but it's only made by the pet shop near us so unless you're in Manchester prob not a lot of use to you.

He's very funny with his food too, sometimes won't touch it so sometimes he gets a bit of gravy on it to get him interested. He also LOVES fish so we get the cat food pouches and mix in with the kibble once a week or so and he wolfs that down

Is he an ex racer? You can look up his history if so with his ear tattoos - I'm super nosey so looked up ours!

AnUtterIdiot Sun 10-Jan-16 09:53:19

Toothbrush it is.

He is an ex racer - we have a little booklet about his history. He was born in Ireland and didn't do too badly (won a few) but in his last race was predicted as having a 6% chance of winning sad. Not surprising given his complete lack of interest in things that move...

Currently collapsed onto his beanbag to start working on his 22 hours of beauty sleep post walk smile

Archer26 Sun 10-Jan-16 09:56:29

Love a greyhound. I grew up with a retired racer we adopted and he was the best. Such lovely dogs, great characters.

But the smell! His fart's were legendary along with his food stealing skills. Whole loaf of bread, whole tub of butter, three Easter eggs which resulted in an expensive trip to the vets. He was quite a tall lad so you'd think food would be safe on counter tops. Wrong.
We went through many different diets with him but in the end found plain mince and white rice suited him best.

Enjoy, he'll hold a soft spot in your heart forever.

MaynJune Sun 10-Jan-16 19:12:38

Can only agree with everyone that it might need trial and error.

One of my lurchers can't cope with grain or high protein foods. The other gets itchy skin and I haven't been able to pin down what causes it, but she's fine on Salmon and Potato kibble, so that's what she gets.

A couple of greyhound owners have found Retired Greyhound food from Dodson and Horrell very good. You could contact them and ask if they do sample packs.

I'm so glad you've given a greyhound a good home. Hounds are wonderful. And as someone already said, his coat will gleam and he'll be even more beautiful.

CaptainKit Sun 10-Jan-16 19:52:25

Congrats on your new addition. I got my first pointy dog last summer and he's very much a part of the family now.

My lurcher pup had a rotten tummy when I brought him home from the rescue. Gradually moved him on to Harringtons; it's grain free, but not super rich, and is available in the online grocery shop. It took some time to get his tummy settled, even with a good few weeks with a breakfast of Chappy to try and make the change more gentle (He'd only been at the rescue for a week and a half, so the tummy issues were a combination of multiple food changes and a lot more stress than a young pup should have to deal with, poor lamb.)

These days I tend to add a tiny sprinkle of James Wellbeloved dry ferret food (because I have it on hand, and used to use it as a low value reward) and a squirt of salmon oil.

TrionicLettuce Sun 10-Jan-16 19:59:16

Logic Oral Hygiene Gel is brilliant for teeth cleaning. It does some good even if you only manage to smear it on their their teeth rather than brush them properly so it's great to use whilst building them up to full on brushing.

I use it a few times a week for my whippets and have found the finger brush that comes with it really good.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 10-Jan-16 22:23:51

I got a finger brush for puppies as I thought that might be a bit easier for him. And some delicious meaty toothpaste. Yum!

Dog continues to be brilliant smile

WaitrosePigeon Sun 10-Jan-16 22:25:11

He sounds delightful!

Claraoswald36 Mon 11-Jan-16 09:52:40

The only thing my girl could tolerate was standard greyhound food from the feed merchant - like where you buy horse food. She had value gray on it left to cool. It took a while but she settled on this and looked fab.
We also gave her cod liver oil to help her skin and coat recover - maybe wait until diet settles but works a treat on rescue greys.
Really missing her lately though she had a decade with us having a wonderful time but things pop up constantly to remind me sad

Claraoswald36 Mon 11-Jan-16 09:53:20

Can we have a pic please

AnUtterIdiot Mon 11-Jan-16 10:39:55

This is him heart emoticon

WaitrosePigeon Mon 11-Jan-16 11:22:15

I love the long snout!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now