Talk

Advanced search

First season. When?

(8 Posts)
CoppyPock Thu 07-Jan-16 22:32:49

I have a JRT who has just turned 7 months and I am sure she hasn't had one yet. What age do they normally get the first?
I always thought it was before 6months?

TrionicLettuce Thu 07-Jan-16 22:37:02

It's usually sometime from six months onwards, with smaller breeds being more likely to come in earlier, but it can vary hugely from bitch to bitch.

KinkyAfro Fri 08-Jan-16 09:50:17

Mine (lab) didn't have one as we had her spayed at 6 months. Mum's (Westie) had her first at 8 months

tabulahrasa Fri 08-Jan-16 11:45:17

Anytime between 5 months and 24 months really, depends on size, breed and the individual.

CoppyPock Fri 08-Jan-16 14:55:30

I'm waiting to book her in to be spayed but was told that she has to be done in the middle of seasons...is this not right?

CaptainKit Fri 08-Jan-16 15:32:19

You can get her spayed before her first season. There's a mixed jury amongst owners and vets as to whether spaying before or after first season is best.

I'm of the mind that before, if possible, is better, so would recommend you get her booked in now she's over 6 months.

YellowBellyBear Fri 08-Jan-16 15:35:43

A friends dog didn't have her first season until she was 2, but as said above, it can happen anytime from about 6 months.
We decided to have ours spayed before her first season (just done at 6 months) but from what I've read, opinion seems to be split about the best time to do it.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 08-Jan-16 15:40:16

Our collie girl is now a year old and still hasn't had a season. It is imperative that she doesn't have pups. Much as we love her, she is very highly strung and really not the best temperament.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now