Castrating my 2 year old working cocker.

(18 Posts)
needastrongone Thu 07-Jan-16 19:40:19

He's booked in for next Thursday.

The reason he's getting done is because the lady who my dogs will home board with in August won't walk them off lead if they are not castrated. Fair enough.

He will be sad (projects feelings!) at this, especially as ddog1 will be off lead.

Said WC is a gentle, placid, sweet natured little soul. He has a wonderful temperament, but will inspect the world from behind my legs before coming out to say hello.

No dog aggression issues at all, submissive in the extreme, likes playing with other dogs but happy in the main with ddog1. His fear issues are timidity, and do not manifest themselves in fear aggression in any way at all.

I don't ever have any intention of breeding from him.

I don't want to change his personality at all. He's perfect to me.

Is there any likelihood this may happen? Mixed evidence still, especially for male castration?

Greyhorses Thu 07-Jan-16 19:49:12

It didn't change any of my dogs personalities at all and I have one who is fear aggressive and he didn't get any worse (or better!)
I think its highly unlikely he will become aggressive due to lack of testosterone although I do understand the theory behind it, ive never actually seen a dog who has got worse after castration personally. I think lots of fear aggression is based on experiences and not hormones.

I would always castrate once fully mature due to risk of prostate/testicular cancers.

needastrongone Thu 07-Jan-16 20:24:22

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

He was attacked as a puppy and had his leg broken, just became more timid really.

He's been fully mature for a while now, I've procrastinated. He could certainly do with any extra weight gain that might occur.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 07-Jan-16 21:21:49

We had our old boy done at the age of three. When I was pregnant with dd1 he changed. He became disobedient, aggressive and wouldn't listen to me. Everybody I spoke to said it was a hormonal reaction to me and we should think about having him done. So we did. He went straight back to being my lovely boy and we never had a problem with him again. We did struggle to keep his weight down though.

Cheerfulmarybrown Thu 07-Jan-16 21:57:20

Be careful, be very careful in castrating a nervous dog. I disagree with Greyhorses there is a lot of scientific study to show that fear aggressive or nervous dogs do get worse after castration due to lower testosterone.

needastrongone Fri 08-Jan-16 09:22:52

Thanks Cheerful. I wouldn't say he's nervous, more timid, if you can understand the difference? smile Once he's comfortable with a situation, he's perfectly happy. Outdoors, totally fine, too busy hunting rabbits. I can't ever remember him growling or snappy or even baring his teeth in fear etc.

Adora He needs weight putting on, my boy smile

tabulahrasa Fri 08-Jan-16 11:46:56

It's not that he might suddenly become aggressive - it's that testosterone is basically hormonal bravery, so less can make fearful dogs worse.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 08-Jan-16 13:28:35

My dog is a bit of a wuss but it's not so much that he's fearful, more that he wants to avoid confrontation, so if he's holding a ball he will always drop it if another dog approaches

His fundamental character didn't change after neutering, although he no longer humps or marks. And we need to watch his weight as in make sure he eats enough - he's right at the bottom of the weight range for his breed and burns through calories at a startling rate

DorynownotFloundering Fri 08-Jan-16 13:33:13

The other issue is are you prepared to be responsible for any accidental mating outcomes?
IMHO the dangers of castration vs the benefits plus the social responsibility of having a fertile D&G or botch makes it a no brainer!

DorynownotFloundering Fri 08-Jan-16 13:36:40

Damn you autocorrect

Dog or Bitch obviously!

needastrongone Fri 08-Jan-16 18:20:41

No, that's ours in a nutshell, including weight. He doesn't hump or mark though.

Not sure he could be much worse tab smile

I know, accidental matings would be my responsibility, which is why I will very likely go ahead. Ddog1 has been done, but he has a more confident character. I would feel appalling if I altered ddog2's, he has an adorable personality.

tabulahrasa Fri 08-Jan-16 18:26:13

I'm not saying you shouldn't have him neutered btw...and he'll not have anything to forgive you for, it's dead straightforward and he'll mostly be sleepy then fine, lol.

But I'd hesitate a bit with a timid dog...

Could you try him with an implant? That way if it does do anything negative it can be reversed and if he's completely normal you can do it when it's due to run out.

Toomuch2young Fri 08-Jan-16 18:41:07

I wouldnt neuter your dog in your situation. We now have many interesting, though not yet peer reviewed, studies to show neutering causes increased fearfulness in dogs. If you can ensure you are not going to let your dog mate another dog then it is the best thing to keep your dog entire.
In many European countries such as Sweden where almost no dogs are neutered and this is the way the UK would be heading if we were free from irresponsible owners and back yard breeders.
I am a fan of spaying for health benefits as mammary tumors and pyometras pose a major threat to bitches health. This is not the case with male dogs.
The only increased risk of health problems for male dogs is prostrate issues and testicular cancer, both which have low morbidity and mortality and are fairly easily treated. However the risk of obesity and many other more serious cancers is greatly increased in neutered males.
The papers are out there and I like evidence to back up theory.
Your dog sounds lovely, similar to one of my entire males, obedient, loving and slightly nervous through a bad experience and is now happy and thriving.
For the sake of lead walks for a week I wouldn't but you did ask for opinions so this is just mine.

tabulahrasa Fri 08-Jan-16 19:07:32

I'm not anti-neutering btw, in case you wondered.

Mine was done much younger than I'd planned to after both his vet, the behaviourist and the behavioural vet said he could do with less testosterone, lol.

But I do routinely neuter my pets.

LibidinousTurkey Sat 09-Jan-16 13:43:54

DDog1 is still entire at nearly 8 for precisely the reasons you describe. As he's never been a sex pest (yet!) it simply didn't seem worth the risk.

Sadly for DDog2 he doesn't have that get out clause so it's off for the big chop for him once the seasons finished grin

needastrongone Sun 10-Jan-16 16:16:55

I appreciate all opinions. I'm in two minds still. I will speak to my vet I think, definitely about the implant, but also about his opinion, knowing the dog a little bit. I suspect he will advise to neuter, but I can ask?

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 16:23:56

I need to get my eyes checked. I thought the thread title was something about castrating a co-worker.

needastrongone Sun 10-Jan-16 18:54:57

I occasionally feel like performing such an action on the odd co-worker mavis, if that helps at all? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now