Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone taken their dog to Ireland on the ferry

(7 Posts)
Trafalgar1805 Tue 05-Jan-16 17:33:01

Just wondered whether you left dog in the car or used the kennels on the boat. Can you visit the dog whilst the ferry is moving? Any info would be appreciated

kimberleybuckley Sat 09-Jan-16 06:11:52

Yes! It depends which ferry you go on as to how good the kennels are. We took this quick service, think it's called the swift from Hollyhead to Dublin. The 'kennels' were just 4/5 plastic dog crates right next to the drive in entrance. Our dog was petrified so we took him back to our car. There were loads of dogs being left in cars as oppose to using the kennels. You cannot visit your dog in the kennels/car during the crossing so I was much happier knowing our dog was safe and in our car where he knew we would come back for him! Hope that helps!

Desmoulinsonatable Sat 09-Jan-16 06:34:32

I agree with PP entirely. Our dog was much happier in the car he knows with water, blankets etc. He had a walk just before departure and just after arrival and all was well.

ADishBestEatenCold Sat 09-Jan-16 23:26:36

I used the kennels. It was hot weather when I was travelling and, although the kennels looked far from ideal, the set up did look much less likely to cause overheating than leaving in the car.

I guess not too much of a worry at this time of year, but dogs have died in cars on ferries. There was talk of ferry companies relaxing their rules about owners visiting their dogs during the journey and of possible exercise areas, but I don't know if this ever came about.

Trafalgar1805 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:53:44

Thanks for you input. The ferry website says you can exercise them but I'm not sure which route that's on..guess I can report back once we have done the journey ourselves!

taptonaria27 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:17:09

We've booked a Kennel for our pup in May when he will be 10 months as I was concerned he could chew the car to pieces in the time it takes to get over the water. He usually travels in a crate in the boot but will have to be in the car with us due to luggage - which could be a whole other thread as he dislikes the car!

Trafalgar1805 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:24:36

Our dog wasn't keen in the car and used to vomit each time we took him out for more than 45 mins..we were dreading our holiday that year as its a 5 hour drive but eventually he has got used to,the car and manages long journeys without any problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now