Talk

Advanced search

multiple dogs - a good idea?

(6 Posts)
victoryinthekitchen Sun 03-Jan-16 20:17:55

We have a well-behaved boy 7 yr old golden retriever and are thinking of adding another smaller dog to our family. However we aren't sure if this is unfair on him, he's a great dog and don't want his behaviour to change. Any thoughts on suitable breed / tips please? Tia smile

kate7590 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:41:27

We have 3 dogs, and Id always be choose to be a multi-dog household smile
Would you go for a pup or an older dog?

Wolfiefan Sun 03-Jan-16 20:43:23

How does your dog react to others? What about dogs of different sizes, sexes, ages etc?

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Sun 03-Jan-16 21:31:48

I have a 3 year old Golden Retriever and we got a Black Lab Bitch almost 2 yr ago. He was a little frosty with her at first but now he is great with her. The get along great and enjoy their walks together.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 03-Jan-16 21:36:04

I have an 18 month old border collie, last summer we adopted a 10 month old spaniel and it was the best thing we did. I love being a two dog household. Our old Lab was a singleton, we often talked about getting a second dog when he was alive but always talked ourselves out of it, I regret it now.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 03-Jan-16 23:54:09

We kept saying we'd get a second dog when we had our old spaniel. He got older and older and then we thought it might be a bit too much for him. Then he died last year and we went from being dog owners to not being dog owners at all. Quite apart from desperately missing him, the empty house and lack of dog was awful. I know that's not the only reason for getting another dog but going from two dogs to one dog is obviously very sad. Going from one to nothing is horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now