Smelly Beagle

(9 Posts)
MrsTerryPratchett Fri 01-Jan-16 21:12:51

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you lot... flowers

We have a beagle staying with us while I friends stay in Hawaii (lucky bastards) for two weeks. He is a lovely dog but a little greedy, disobedient an smelly. These are all possibly relevant.

He eats anything and everything. We are very careful to only give him what he is allowed but he has eaten random crap off the beach and pavement. Had loose stools twice and farts that make your eyes water. Stools are better today but the smell is not. He basically smells all the time. He had his anal gland done before he came to us (the vet said it was 'thick'). <boak>

Is the smell worrisome? Is he sick, is it the anal gland or should we consult someone?

He's happy and bright and affectionate. He's probably stressed because he's away from his family.

LimeJellyHead Sat 02-Jan-16 10:42:13

If the smell was due to anal glands it would smell very potently of fish. If it doesn't smell of fish you can rule that out smile

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 02-Jan-16 21:28:48

It smells potently of disgusting. I suppose it's like off cheese or maybe anchovies. I don't really want to breathe in. envy As far as I know he hasn't rolled in anything and DH says the smell is from that end.

SmileAndNod Tue 05-Jan-16 12:11:49

He is a lovely dog but a little greedy, disobedient an smelly. These are all possibly relevant these are also very beagly characteristics smile

How is he now?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 05-Jan-16 15:05:19

Less smelly and his poo is back to normal. Thanks goodness because I was quite worried. smile

It's firmed up my belief that if we get a dog, it won't be a beagle. Very cute but can't be let off the lead because he simply ignores you. Unless you have bacon, then he's all ears.

Thanks for the help. I know I would have been told to go to the vet if he was ill so it was very reassuring!

SmileAndNod Tue 05-Jan-16 18:00:27

I have my first and last beagle puppy. Never again. I've had dogs before but he's bloody hard work. Only 16 weeks so early days but have spent the whole day saying 'no' and being completely ignored. It's like having a 2 year old. Oh wait. I have one of those as wellshock

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 05-Jan-16 18:05:28

The beagle and my 5 yo are fighting for who listens less. Funnily enough, watching them is hilarious. I think he actually listens to her more than me, "sit Norman, Norman sit, sit Norman, Norman sit, sit Norman, Norman sit, sit Norman, Norman sit" is what we both do but it takes her about 6 tries and me about 10.

I find myself calling him her name as well. No coincidence. She needed reins too.

I cannot imagine what he must have been like as a puppy. He has had two rounds of obedience school to get where he is now.

NotNowBono Tue 05-Jan-16 21:25:45

My dog ate something today that made her smell as if she'd ingested an entire Roquefort in secret. I have no idea what it was. I don't think it was an entire Roquefort, but you never know with hounds.

What's the beagle being fed? The fart ratio dropped dramatically when I switched my stinky old gal onto an eye-wateringly expensive vet brand that I get a whacking discount on.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 05-Jan-16 21:34:07

It's that soft pellet stuff. No bag because they gave us enough for the stay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now