Foster dog woes

(6 Posts)
thesortingtwat Wed 30-Dec-15 21:37:05

I'm fostering a lovely 2 year old shitzhu until April when she will go back to her owners. She's a poppet but not really housetrained - she lived in a flat before us and used puppy pads as she was alone 9-5 - but I think we're getting there slowly. I've changed her food to a raw meat diet as she was on Caesar before which I felt was giving her a runny tummy and that has improved things greatly. She's brilliant with the children (2 and 6) but she has started biting me and dh when we move her off the sofa. I wouldn't normally allow a dog on the sofa but I think she was allowed at her 'real' home and I didn't want to stress her...anyway, I need this biting to stop before one of the kids gets bitten. Please advise me!

TheoriginalLEM Wed 30-Dec-15 21:43:18

Yes you absolutely do need it to stop. The dogs trust do a lead called a house lead, a very light and short lead that you use to encourage dogs to go where you want them to go. They say that the only time you should be touching your dog is to show affection and obviously to check them medically. So rather than grabbing collar or lifting the dog off the sofa then just take the lead and encourage them off, using the command off, reward when she gets down.

Also, maybe a visit to the vets is in order to rule out any pain that might be causing her to snap when you pick her up.

Cheerfulmarybrown Wed 30-Dec-15 21:46:49

Or just put food on the floor to tempt her off the sofa and you will not have to touch her at all. Dog enjoys getting off the sofa for tasty treat and no need to be grumpy

honeyroar Thu 31-Dec-15 19:11:44

Don't let her on the sofa for a while. You tell her when she can come up and down. She doesn't tell you..

knobblyknee Fri 01-Jan-16 01:49:49

You can use a short lead,and a hooked stick to pick up the lead. Its much safer. Try to confine and control her more, and warn the kids.

ColdWhiteWinePlease Sat 02-Jan-16 16:16:34

I look after dogs for my job.

I've been bitten once - yep, it was a Shih Tzu.

I've met other Shih Tzu's that were so vicious, I couldn't take them on.

I think you've had a lucky escape that it hasn't bitten the children.

I'd get it out of your house, asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now