Talk

Advanced search

labrador whippet x - tell me about them!

(5 Posts)
Doraemon Tue 29-Dec-15 18:53:09

we are looking at rescue dogs and have found a labrador x whippet that is both cat and child friendly and in foster near us. Rescue is checking on whether he is happy to be left for a few hours.
Does anyone have any experience of this mix of breeds? We had been looking at lurchers and possibly whippets, labradors I was a bit concerned about the amount of walking they need.....

TooOldForGlitter Thu 31-Dec-15 01:03:27

It's an interesting cross...I cant picture what a lab/whippet cross would even look like!

For starters you have two working breeds there. I've never understood why a retrieving working dog (lab) is recommended as a good pet to young families but hey ho!

If you are an active family then this could work. If you can factor in clicker training or brain work at home it could work. Whippets can be lazy dogs so if there are strong whippet traits then you may be in luck. You won't get away with missing walks because it's raining and you'll suffer if you don't engage the brain with training but if you go in with eyes open then I can't see that it isn't doable.

nooka Thu 31-Dec-15 01:22:13

A lab whippet cross would give you a smaller slighter lab type of dog wouldn't it? We used to play with a collie/whippet cross and he was a lovely slight bendy sort of dog (very mad too).

I'd imagine that this cross would give you a bright and lively sort of dog, but I expect with a rescue that uses foster you will get lots of information about him.

Here are some lab/whippet crosses from Google images. Lots of pretty black and white or tan dogs.

tabulahrasa Thu 31-Dec-15 07:40:06

They're really different breeds, so there's no real way of predicting what it's like other than meeting it...but that is the advantage of a rescue dog, you can meet it and see what it's like.

TheCunnyFunt Fri 01-Jan-16 12:37:29

I know one, she looks exactly like a whippet but everything about her is chunkier than a full whippet, she has thicker legs, tail, body, face etc.

She was rescued from travellers as a puppy and she now lives very happily with 2 adults, a 5-6yo, a 3yo and baby. She is so good with all 3 of the children, she's a bonkers dog off lead and she loves to play with other dogs but around the children she's as calm as a really calm thing. She adores them, always wants to be with them and in the middle of their games. She's a cracking dog. She even sleeps outside the children's bedroom doors by choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now