Do you still use a crate for your adult dog?

(15 Posts)
CakeMountain Tue 29-Dec-15 18:36:06

Our 1 year old loves her crate and as we are short of space, it's good to pop her in there if I am cooking etc. It uses a lot of space though - when did you stop using a crate?

2legit2knit Tue 29-Dec-15 18:44:18

We still use a crate for our 18 month old, she sleeps in it and is in it whenever we leave her. I can't see that changing unless we move house to somewhere with a room that can be pretty much sacrificed to the dog!

Grittzio Tue 29-Dec-15 18:47:35

Ours stopped at 5 mths, she no longer wanted to go in it even though we tried to make it a positive experience, decided to let her have run of hallway at night and when we are out in the day, she's been as good as gold.

NettleFarseer Wed 30-Dec-15 08:44:11

Still use ours.
Dpup is 14 months old now but turns into a terror when left alone so can't be trusted if we pop out.
Also yy very hand if I need to mop the floor etc

NettleFarseer Wed 30-Dec-15 08:44:34

* handy

Arkkorox Wed 30-Dec-15 08:47:18

Ours is 7 and still sleeps in it every night! If you don't shut the door and put the blanket over she will stand on you till you do grin she loves her crate. Also means it's eaiser when she stayed with my mum. Less stressful for her cause she's got her safe place.

KinkyAfro Wed 30-Dec-15 08:49:11

Exactly what Arkkorox said except our dog is 3

AlaskaWaves Wed 30-Dec-15 08:53:32

Ours are nearly 5 and still sleep in them and are put in when we go out. One in particular loves it- it's his safe place if he's anxious or sleepy. They're always happy to go in, we never use it as punishment. We're very lucky that we have an extra-large utility room for them to fit in.

Collared Wed 30-Dec-15 10:52:08

Our dog has been out of the crate during the night for a few months now and sleeps on our bed. I'd started trialing keeping her out of her crate in our bedroom when I did the school run which was generally an hour or so. That all went a bit wrong when I tried leaving her for longer and came back to two patches of wee and a destroyed Christmas present! Maybe we still need to do a bit of work!

knobblyknee Wed 30-Dec-15 11:45:34

I've never used one! Dog has his main bed in the kitchen, before he was housetrained I put a stairgate across the door.
He's also allowed on his spot on the sofa and at the foot of the bed.

rudolphistheboss Wed 30-Dec-15 11:56:56

My dog used his crate until we sadly had to PTS at 9 years old. He didn't always need the door shutting but he definitely preferred it closed! He was the calmest, kindest, most gentle giant (ridgeback/mastiff) but he just loved his crate.he had a basket upstairs but would always go back to the crate for night. I think some dogs enjoy the security?

CMOTDibbler Wed 30-Dec-15 16:59:25

Yes - our cats can open doors and I prefer not to have large dogs in the bed with us.

CakeMountain Wed 30-Dec-15 19:45:52

Ah good, I can stop feeling bad then smile. Ours have lovely fleeces over the top too, so they are snug.

RandomMess Wed 30-Dec-15 19:51:07

Our dog is 3ish we've had her a year and was crate trained so we carried on.

She sits in it whilst she waits to be allowed her meals, she sits in it out of choice whilst we eat (it's near the dining table) she happily goes to bed in it in the evening and we never ever hear a peep out of her whereas in the evenings when sleeping on the sofa with us she will bark if a noise disturbs her.

I think she switches off properly in the crate IYSWIM.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 30-Dec-15 20:01:30

Ours goes in his crate when hw wants to escape the attentions of an obsessed 8 yr old ds, and also when I'm in kitchen as it's by the door and he likes to lie in ot and watch me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now