Talk

Advanced search

Raw food best value? and some qs

(12 Posts)
tinkywinkyshandbag Sat 26-Dec-15 21:24:22

Hi there, I have a 16 week old lurcher I would like to start feeding raw but I really like the idea of just being able to order online and feed out of a packet. Which suppliers do people recommend for good value? Also if feeding something like turkey necks how do you do it, don't really want raw turkey juice all over my floor. Thanks!

Thed0gs Sat 26-Dec-15 21:37:19

Hi, I've tried a number of suppliers buying complete raw meals but find it is better (financially and more fun) buying specific cuts (variety is important). The best one I've found so far is Paleo Ridge Raw; they do superb quality, ethically sourced meat for a reasonable and fair price. I also buy boneless minces from Natures Menu along with supermarket bargains.

Thed0gs Sat 26-Dec-15 21:39:10

Oh and I feed on old sheets/towels when the weather is bad and throw them on a quick wash, but if it's nice they just eat in the garden.

YourBubzYourRulzHun Sun 27-Dec-15 19:23:05

I feed Natural Instinct. If you order over 80kg then you get 30% discount so me and my Mum normally have 40kg each every time and I collect from the shop in Camberley to save on delivery cost.
They've just had turkey necks for tea! Only £1.50 for two, they have them in the garden and they are frozen anyway so no juice. They eat them even before they've had a chance to defrost.

sparechange Sun 27-Dec-15 21:39:49

Natures Menu mince blocks from Pets at Home works out at less than £1 a day for my 22kg dog, with the veg coming from our general shop
We have a drawer of our freezer given over to it which means a trip to the shop once a month, and we use chicken wings from the supermarket for emergency top ups if we run out.
I prefer the chicken blocks because they don't smell at all, but ddog seems like the lamb and chicken or rabbit ones the most

Adarajames Mon 28-Dec-15 02:10:50

I bulk buy from a catering supplier, whole cuts of decent grade food, I don't like to feed minced, nowhere near as good for their teeth or for keeping them occupied

tinkywinkyshandbag Sat 02-Jan-16 12:05:44

Hi all thanks, do the natures menu blocks have bone in?

I feel nervous about giving my dog a bone, which seems ridiculous!

Thed0gs Sat 02-Jan-16 16:10:36

Most of them do yes (around 10%) but it's completely ground up.... The beef and tripe blocks are boneless though.

Feeding whole bones can be daunting at first but it excellent for teeth cleaning. There's a Facebook page called Raw Feeding University which has loads of knowledgeable people able to give advice.

BagelSuffragette Sat 02-Jan-16 16:16:45

If you join FB group Raw Feeding UK, they have a list of UK suppliers in their Files Section.

This is also good for info, %s etc. www.dogsdinner2.webs.com

BagelSuffragette Sat 02-Jan-16 16:20:16

Meant to add that Pets@Home do the Nature's Menu blocks, also big bags of frozen tripe pellets which are a great and healthy addition. A meal of chicken wing, bit of Nature's Menu and some tripe is great. Don't forget organs: heart, liver etc. Go easy on the liver to start with, too much and you'll know about it grin

Sardines, eggs, organic apple cider vinegar also good.

You won't get much mess on the floor because your dog will love it and eat in seconds! Outside when weather is good.

tinkywinkyshandbag Sat 02-Jan-16 16:21:19

Thanks!

sparechange Sat 02-Jan-16 20:16:49

If you are worried about bones, start with a couple of chicken wings, halved if you want to.
You'll be amazed at how naturally your dog with chomp it down!
Bones to be wary of - lamb and oxtail. You can feed them, but supervise them. There have been stories of dogs chocking on bones that are too small for them to need to chew, so they swallow them whole...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now