Talk

Advanced search

Why won't she just bloody eat?!

(10 Posts)
GinIsABreakfastFood Mon 21-Dec-15 22:51:17

Hi all,

Bit of background - our dog was a rescue and had quite bad gastric problems when we took her on as a pup. All better now but for a long time things were touch and go and bloody awful. I am aware that we are over sensitive to gastric problems for her as a consequence, but it turns out so is she....

She had a slightly upset stomach last week, as she does every couple of months, which only lasted 2 days, but has been off her food ever since. She hasn't even wanted cooked chicken, which is not normal. Seems fine in herself but just won't eat.

After a week of her accepting treats but no real food, I took her to the vet today, who basically said our dog is medically absolutely fine, and is being a total princess and playing us like a scrabble game to get treats. hmm

Which is all very well. But how on earth do we get her to eat normal food. Vet says cut treats all together but then she's taking in no calories at all and she is stubborn as anything and will go days and days before she caves in and eats. Help?!

Catzpyjamas Mon 21-Dec-15 22:52:35

Did the vet do any blood tests on her?

GinIsABreakfastFood Mon 21-Dec-15 22:58:37

No- he palpitated her stomach, checked her weight, looked at her gums and checked her temp.... He pointed out any real problems and she wouldn't a. Be bouncy and playful and b. Be wolfing down cheese biscuits....

I think he's probably right, but in a battle of wits I suspect she might win so all tips gratefully received!

GinIsABreakfastFood Mon 21-Dec-15 23:00:40

Oh, and it wasn't a mystery stomach upset either that was the root cause - she 8
Is a tiny lap dog type, and managed to talk one of our dinner guests out of half a roast dinner and was paying the price for over-indulging!

Catzpyjamas Mon 21-Dec-15 23:03:04

Offering different foods? I'd stick to white meat if she has a history of gastric problems or Chappie is a good food for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Is there anxiety associated with her eating? (Her not you!)

Shriek Tue 22-Dec-15 00:01:33

I would be shutting her out of any human meals altogether! and leaving her with something gastricly soothing (chicken/rice) and when you finished eating, lift anything she's left and ignore her.

Another trick if you are worried about lack of food, but she's refusing the solids, is to fill a pan with water and boil the rice with chicken (on the bone) in it, then strain off the juice to offer. Its pretty irresistable to all dogs i've offered it to, and very very good for the tum, and gives lots of easily absorbed nutrients. then later you can offer the solids cooled, with bones carefully removed, all finely chopped and mixed, but in a very small quantity, leaving her wanting.

Shriek Tue 22-Dec-15 00:02:41

You can also offer other meats, like raw mince, just to get her into the habit of not 'snacking' or begging your food.

HenDogismylife Tue 22-Dec-15 00:32:15

No treats, give her plain food but only keep it down for a limited time. She will eat if she's hungry when she realises you won't give in and give her what she really wants.

Floralnomad Tue 22-Dec-15 01:52:47

Have you tried feeding her her own food but from a human plate slightly warm . Our dog was very fussy as a pup and would only eat from proper plates and for several weeks only if you fed him from a fork or spoon , he's very good at eating from a fork in a most undog like manner . I do appreciate that this is still pandering to the pooch but at least it would be eating its own dinner .

Springermum1350 Wed 23-Dec-15 06:37:41

Oh I know how you feel. My springer has an extremely sensitive stomach. It has taken us sooooooo long to find a food he could actually eat. We have settled on Arden grange sensitive.

But. He hates dried food. And after months of him not putting on weight ( he is 11 months) and people commenting on him being underweight I finally found if I added a little bit of mince in.... it didn't give him stomach ache!!!!!!

He has put on weight. Soooooo happy.

I was told to ignore him and just leave him with the food and not pander to him. But it never ever worked. He just ate a few mouthfuls and left. It didn't work with him and he just kept loosing weight.

I don't have any tips. I just wanted you to know that your not on your own with this problem and I now how hard it can be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now