Talk

Advanced search

is there a definitive best training book? first pup in a long time, need reminders on how to do this!

(7 Posts)
Missanneshirley Sun 20-Dec-15 21:08:07

Having lost our old lab this year, we are looking at getting a pup early next year. I would have preferred a rescue but dc1 too young. So a pup it is, and I can't remember what to do! I don't want to read too much conflicting advice and confuse myself - can anyone recommend a good book? When we were training our old dog it was all very much about dominance and pack dynamics - I think this has largely been discredited now? Would welcome any advice!

Missanneshirley Sun 20-Dec-15 21:09:24

Sorry, dc 2 is too young that should have said. It's another lab pup, if that makes any difference to training methods.

knobblyknee Sun 20-Dec-15 21:14:45

Gwen Baileys book How to Raise the Perfect Puppy is the best book to start with IMO.
As he gets older you pick the training method that suits him and you. Its best to be flexible and keep an open mind. I like Nothing In Life Is Free training [NILIF].

Dont use clicker training if the club you join wants you to carry a bag of food with you. Thats just not going to work in the real world.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 21-Dec-15 11:54:51

The Happy Puppy Handbook by Pippa Mattinson is a brilliant guide to those first puppy days. Good luck!

Cheerfulmarybrown Mon 21-Dec-15 12:00:45

Dont use clicker training if the club you join wants you to carry a bag of food with you. Thats just not going to work in the real world.

I am confused by that sentence knobblyknee? You will need to treat if using a clicker but only when teaching the behaviour but once learned will not need to click and treat constantly.

Life skills for puppies by Daniel Mills and Helen Zulch is good and also very good for children as lots of really clear photos.

TheCrowFromBelow Mon 21-Dec-15 12:22:35

We found Gwen Bailey helpful as well, and I would recommend a crate, also put your nice clothes away until pup has finished teething grin
Good luck!

Missanneshirley Tue 22-Dec-15 17:58:06

Thank you all, heading off to amazon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now