Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My puppy hates going on walks.

(21 Posts)
AppleSetsSail Wed 16-Dec-15 19:16:48

I understand that you're not supposed to force a dog to walk, you're supposed to lure them along with treats and encouragement but really? How does anyone have the time or patience for this?

Is it a terrible idea for me to simply carry her to and from the park? Is it normal for puppies to hate going on walks? Exactly how bad is it for me to drag her along?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 16-Dec-15 19:27:00

How old? If she's very new to going outside it can be just a matter of allowing them to build confidence. As a very young puppy our collie hated walks as she hated cars but some time, patience and lots of rewarding the behaviour we wanted has resulted in a dog that loves her walks.

AppleSetsSail Wed 16-Dec-15 19:32:56

She's a 14 week old golden retriever. Adorable but incredibly lazy (part of her charm).

What I'm getting at is, how do people summon the patience? She flatly refuses to walk unless she sees something interesting going on like children or other dogs. I would have to devote about 3 hours a day to walking her if I were to just coax her along without force.

Tinofsardines Wed 16-Dec-15 19:43:34

We have the same trouble- our girl is a yorkie cross so a little easier to just pick up and carry!!

She won't walk at all, loves a run on the field but getting there is a different story!

Don't really have any advice grin I'm just hoping praying it's something that comes with time. We've tried everything!!!

Deadnettle Wed 16-Dec-15 20:44:18

It will get better!

My puppy is now 5 months old and she mostly walks now. She tends to stop to be nosy but will walk unless its raining. The only time I carry her now is if I have to be somewhere by a certain time.

I have never dragged her and I never used treats either.

She never had a problem with walking home so I used to carry her until we were out of sight of the house and then make her walk home. Maybe try carrying her to the park and then letting her walk home?

lighteningirl Wed 16-Dec-15 20:45:36

My ddog improved immensely when i walked him with another dog

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Dec-15 20:46:07

Surely at 14 weeks you aren't going very far?

GingirlBells Wed 16-Dec-15 21:03:25

I could have written your post several months ago! Our pup is six months old now, though, and is much better. Unfortunately, it is just time and patience. I struggled at times, with the patience side of it, but it was worth it in the end.

AppleSetsSail Wed 16-Dec-15 21:31:09

Surely at 14 weeks you aren't going very far?

It doesn't even matter, to our park and back with a modest lap around is perhaps a mile (maybe less) and she refuses from the very outside of our house.

Is this too ambitious for her age?

Grittzio Wed 16-Dec-15 21:38:20

Our puppy initially hated going for walks until I realised it was the harness she didn't like, put her in a normal collar and lead and she was pulling me up the road!

AppleSetsSail Wed 16-Dec-15 21:39:56

She is far more keen on walking without her lead, but I thought it would be a very bad idea to get her accustomed to this practice. Should I put her on a halti or similar?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 16-Dec-15 21:42:26

On lead walking? Yes. It is too far, she should be doing no more than 5 minutes per month of life especially for a dog like her that can be prone to hip problems in later life.

The five minute rule here

GingirlBells Wed 16-Dec-15 21:43:24

I think she's too young for a halti.
As for length of walks, I understand it is advised to only do 5 minutes per month of age, twice a day. So, about 15 minutes per walk at the moment. We sometimes didn't do even 5 as pup wouldn't budge.

lighteningirl Thu 17-Dec-15 09:09:04

I think that's probably too far as well my ddog has mild hip dysplasia I wish I'd known the five minute rule we walked him much further than that and now I'm paranoid it's our fault

maybebabybee Thu 17-Dec-15 09:11:21

A mile on a lead is a very long time for a puppy.

marmaladegranny Thu 17-Dec-15 09:20:32

Another vote for going out with friend or neighbour with their dog. Puppies seem to learn better from dogs than humans!

LaurieLemons Thu 17-Dec-15 09:38:02

Puppies can be like that, I just let mine walk without. At 14 weeks they are still not that excited by the idea of a walk, when your puppy gets older you won't be able to stop them! They grow out of it so don't worry.

AppleSetsSail Thu 17-Dec-15 09:39:18

thanks everyone for the advice - I am going to definitely scale back the walking.

ChairRider4 Thu 17-Dec-15 13:16:22

I used treats but held it in my hand and dangled it past his nose so he had to follow it as being a lab food was key

Also finding friend with dog so he could follow
Other trick was to carry and then walk back always seemed more keen to go home

It gets better I remember posting the same question and by about 5 months he loved being out and now at a year he loves as long as I will give him

AppleSetsSail Fri 18-Dec-15 07:20:43

A friend of mine with a lab has offered to go walking with me. This is a great idea, thanks everyone - she definitely perks up when other dogs are in the vicinity.

I've really cut back on walking in the past 2 days, she is incredibly lazy. A friend who has a spaniel puppy stopped by yesterday and asked if she was sedated. shock

WeAllHaveWings Fri 18-Dec-15 10:04:38

Going outside is a big challenge for a young puppy, but keep persevering. Its important they get out and are introduced to all the sight/sounds and smells of the outside world early so they are not nervous of it later.

Short regular walks throughout the day are better, mooching about in the park (instead of in the house) is ok for a bit longer than the 5 minute rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now