Talk

Advanced search

Housebreaking puppy: Can I move her from back garden to walks eventually?

(5 Posts)
AppleSetsSail Tue 15-Dec-15 14:28:52

We're currently housebreaking a new puppy. We have a back garden, but it's astoturf rather than grass and we'd really prefer to get her to poo/pee on walks instead.

Easier said than done.

She is very keen on the back garden, will often go for half hour walks outside first thing in the morning without peeing (better luck with pooing). If we allow her to poo and pee in the back garden, will she ever learn to do this on a walk instead?

I am sorely tempted by the ease of the back garden for an interim winter solution.

nmg85 Tue 15-Dec-15 15:40:18

I have no advice per se but mine just started going on the walk one day more the she does in the garden. We probably only have a poo in the garden once or twice a week now and only a couple of wees a day due to not going for walks during the day.

KinkyAfro Tue 15-Dec-15 16:41:15

I let the dog out first thing in the morning and she'll wee and poo out there, sometimes we don't go out for a walk first thing so I wouldn't want the dog to have to wait until we go out

insan1tyscartching Tue 15-Dec-15 17:01:55

Once Eric got to 12 weeks old he stopped using the garden at all and did it all on walks instead. He's now 2 and would only use the garden in a dire emergency. He often goes 10 hours and more between last walk round the block and first walk next morning. He has three walks a day and does it all on those three walks. I think he sees the garden as part of the house so doesn't like to toilet there.

AppleSetsSail Tue 15-Dec-15 17:05:07

Oh, that is such a relief. Thanks everyone. I really do not relish the idea of my teeny garden being covered in poo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now