Food recommendations. 12 yo skinny lurcher with teeth missing

(5 Posts)
ididntsignupforthis1 Sun 13-Dec-15 13:25:39

We've had her 10 years. Always eaten skinners dry food eg salmon and rice etc.
Over the last few years she's had teeth out and found it harder to chew the dried stuff.
She has never liked bones or dog treats or chews and is very fussy. She's getting skinnier. She will eventually eat dried food but unwilling. We have been giving tinned too. It does upset her tummy and makes her already horrible teeth worse but at least she eats it!( and yes we brush)
Any suggestions?
We usually buy online from vetuk

Greyhorses Sun 13-Dec-15 13:35:31

When my old boy couldn't eat as well we soaked his biscuits in boiling water for 30mibs so they were mushy and he loved them that way?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 13-Dec-15 16:06:33

If her teeth are horrible maybe if she has dental treatment she will start to eat better.

ididntsignupforthis1 Sun 13-Dec-15 20:41:36

She has had dental treatment and has a Yearly check up too.
Apparently long snouted dogs like greyhound types are quite prone to this.
Won't touch the mushed normal food..
Will try a softer normal food like a semi hard one maybe. ( we had Roast pork dinner today and she won't even crunch crackling!)

mollie123 Mon 14-Dec-15 08:33:47

my lurcher has poor teeth too and is 12 but in spite of the vet pushing (spend ££££ for a tartar scrape) he is still able to eat bonios. dentastix and hard food and not in any pain.
I do sympathise but these dogs are always on the skinny side (built like a whippet smile) mine eats some dried food (small bite mixer) mixed with chappie (smelly wind but not usually 'squits' ) nothing too rich or vegetably.
Like older humans, old dogs do not eat as much because they are not so active and spend a lot of time on their bed kipping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now