Talk

Advanced search

would it be possible do you think, to fit a dog flap in this door? (pic)

(14 Posts)
Dieu Thu 10-Dec-15 23:11:37

Have no idea if the photo is going to work, but fingers crossed, and your thoughts much appreciated as always. Thought I'd run it past you lot before asking a glazier in. Thanks!

JohnCusacksWife Thu 10-Dec-15 23:18:49

Is it a single double glazed panel with stick on bars used to create the pane effect? If so you wouldn't be able to cut into the double glazed panel to insert a dog flap.

Bambooshoots14 Thu 10-Dec-15 23:38:26

Found out when fitting a cat flap you can't cut a hole in double glazing anyway (has to be done when being made) so you'd need to replace the glass

JohnCusacksWife Thu 10-Dec-15 23:56:16

Just realised my comment about a "single double" glazed panel might be confusing! What I meant was is each door made up of one double glazed panel with white plastic bars stuck on to create the panelled effect? If so, no, you can't fit a dog flap in it.

JohnCusacksWife Thu 10-Dec-15 23:57:31

Ps have you thought this though? Do you really want a dog to be able to come and go at will between your lovely clean house and a muddy garden?!

Dieu Fri 11-Dec-15 00:09:15

Hello and thanks for replies. John, it would be wonderful not to have to act as personal butler to my cat and dog 24/7! I do know what you mean though, and did think about it, but I reckon the positives will outweigh the negatives.
Yes, 2 doors, each with one double glazed panel, and the white bars are set inside the glass.
'Aint going to happen, is it?!

JohnCusacksWife Fri 11-Dec-15 00:22:20

Dieu, it's not possible with your current set up according to my glazing expert DH! Although I'm really not sure about the benefits of a dog flap (esp with a big lab...(or have I mixed you up with someone else?). If you have carpets I think you need to be able to clean those paws whenever he comes in!!

Dieu Fri 11-Dec-15 00:33:45

No big lab or carpets here, just a wee Shih Tzu and wooden floors.

Dieu Fri 11-Dec-15 00:34:24

Oh, and thanks to you and DH.

JohnCusacksWife Fri 11-Dec-15 00:36:42

Sorry....Confused you with someone getting a lab! Still no dog flap though! wink

Bambooshoots14 Fri 11-Dec-15 09:26:40

We found it was easier to put the cat flap in the wall instead, is that an option?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 11-Dec-15 09:32:47

Oh god yes, much easier to just drill a hole through the wall. Speak to a builder.

pigsDOfly Fri 11-Dec-15 16:09:06

I had a cat flap fitted in a double glazed door. The glazer had to take the door to their workshop in order to do it, so it's quite a faff - don't know if they have a better method nowadays - anyway, this was for just the bottom half of a patio door similar in size to your, and it cost me £99 at the time, which would have been 15 years ago.

Not sure I'd feel it's worth it for your door tbh as it looks as if you'd have to replace the whole panel. As pp said could you fit the flap into a wall. Also, not sure I'd want my dog having free rein to the garden unsupervised.

KanyeWesticle Fri 11-Dec-15 16:16:10

Cut a hole in the wall, much easier than the door.

If you've got a dog small enough, do fit a cat flap for both, rather than a dog flap. The big dog flaps can fit a human very easily, so security wise they are a risk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now