Talk

Advanced search

At the end of my tether with lead waking. Help please.

(6 Posts)
Springermum1350 Thu 10-Dec-15 17:32:30

I have an 11 month old springer. I cannot. I really can't get him to stop pulling on the lead.

You name it I have tried it. Walking to other way. Stopping when he pulls. Treats. He has a harness.

Today he suddenly dived into the road. Nearly getting me and him under a bus. I keep calm and cool. Use positive energy.

He will just not be calm enough to walk ( even after a long run) he will suddenly dive to see something.

I know springers have a lot of energy and that he is still only 11 months old. But he is dangerous at times. So any ideas would be helpful.

SweepTheHalls Thu 10-Dec-15 17:34:55

Halti nose collar. It doesn't solve the underlying issue, but does actually allow you to go for a walk!

JohnCusacksWife Thu 10-Dec-15 17:40:49

Have you looked at the 300 peck method for loose lead walking? I'm about to try that with my boy.

Bethieboo25 Mon 14-Dec-15 18:54:09

Clicker training!!!! Thought this was a mad idea but it does work...

I took mines to training class and he was more interested in playing than learning... We eventually got him to associate his Red collar with training so now if we are out in parks/town he need to wear his Red collar. If it's another collar will it's play time... it took a lot of trainING (I did have professional help!!)
U basically need to train him to pay attention to u and only u. don't know what other training u have done like the basic sit, paw, lie down... These are all a start, so if u have then ur half way there because he associates treats and praise with being good.

The clicker training is really simple as I did struggle a bit when at home (the wee rascal was soo good in lessons for the teacher, but me that was another story... maybe because he knows he melts my heart, but I did learn to toughen up or nothing was gonna change!!
Check it out on youtube, loads of videos in there!!

Good luck x

parrotonmyshoulder Mon 14-Dec-15 19:04:56

I haven't cracked it yet and DSpringer is 4. He is otherwise very well trained and responsive. Recall is bomb proof.

I use a Halti, which helps. I am going to follow one of the above strategies in the new year as I'd really like to enjoy lead walks.

Springermum1350 Tue 15-Dec-15 14:19:36

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I have bought a halti and that seems to have improved slightly. I am guessing it will get better the older he gets but I know springers sometimes never calm down. Now if I could get him to be calmer around other dogs that would be a wonderful lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now