Talk

Advanced search

Is your dog leaving the tree alone?

(29 Posts)
insan1tyscartching Mon 07-Dec-15 11:37:17

I hardly dare believe it but Eric, the dog who has to be in the midst of everything, isn't in the least bit interested in the tree. He had to get in the way whilst we were putting it up but he has resolutely ignored it since then I'm amazed. We had a small one on a table last year and that was fine so decided to risk the big one again. Any tree disasters yet with yours?

SweetLathyrus Mon 07-Dec-15 12:31:43

SweetPup is being very good about the tree, wish I could say the same for the cat wink. But, Pup has developed an obsession with a group of singing polar bears, and has been whining for them since they were moved out of reach!

TrionicLettuce Mon 07-Dec-15 12:53:59

We've not put one up yet.

Last year we tried a big artificial one and we never even got as far as putting any decorations on it as the whippets were far too interested in it. We left it up in the hope they'd lose interest but right up until we took it down it was a pretty common occurrence for a whippet to go wandering past with a Christmas tree branch in their mouths hmm

The youngest is still a thieving little sod so I don't think we'll bother with a tree this year. I'm going to make up for it with reams and reams of fairy lights though grin

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Mon 07-Dec-15 12:56:11

No dog in our house. Spongecat is eyeing it up however grin

BallyGoBackwards Mon 07-Dec-15 14:33:06

Thank God our fella is not interested (so far). Hope it stays that way.

Just as a word of warning, I follow a dog/cat charity online. It posted a sad thing yesterday that someones kitten died as it climbed their tree and managed to hang himself on the wires of the fairy lights. sad

nmg85 Mon 07-Dec-15 15:59:57

A few decorations have been knocked off through over enthusiastic playing but nothing horrendous so far!

daisy5569 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:10:50

No dogs in my house this year sad for the first time in years, but my last two didn't bother with the tree at all and left it alone...no tree here either though don't feel like putting it up this year having lost my old boy in November, next year there will be a tree and hopefully a dog too smile

TheCunnyFunt Mon 07-Dec-15 18:22:03

No thank god. Nearly 3 years ago my brother was stabbed just after christmas, it was very touch and go and several times we had to dash out to the hospital at peculiar times. The dog was clearly picking up on the stress as every single time we went out, even nipped to the shop, he would pee on the tree. I eventually had enough when we got home at 1am to find he'd pee'd on the tree and destroyed loads of stuff. I rang the rescue he came from and within an hour they had been and taken him away to an emergency foster placement. He stayed there for 4 weeks until we knew my brother would survive. He came home and was fine.

I thoroughly cleaned and disinfected the tree (it was relatively new and expensive so I didn't want to waste it!)

The next year he pee'd on the tree all the time again so it was clear he associated the tree with stressful situations. We threw it away at the end of christmas 2013 and last year we bought a new one, completely changed the layout of the living room and he hasn't pee'd on it since <touch wood>

TheCunnyFunt Mon 07-Dec-15 18:23:34

That was slightly wrong, I rang the rescue the next day, not at 1am!

chelle792 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:23:53

Last year he kept taking the nice new decorations off the tree. This year he's had a sniff but stayed away. Long may it last! He's three now so more pliable and stopped when I told him 'away' this morning

orlakielyimnot Mon 07-Dec-15 21:11:52

My lady dog thinks I've brought the toilet inside. Every. Year.

TheCunnyFunt Mon 07-Dec-15 21:24:44

Like this? fgrin

Huntthepigsear Tue 08-Dec-15 10:01:45

Oh dear, DPup is 6 months old and likes chewing anything she can get her teeth on. DCat is 19, but still likes to swipe the baubles, although she doesn't tend to climb the tree anymore.
We haven't got a tree up yet, although DS3 wants to get one this weekend. I think this isn't going to end well...

DropYourSword Tue 08-Dec-15 10:03:52

Yes, dog isn't bothered. Cat on the other hand thinks it's a fantastic chew toy!!

Dieu Tue 08-Dec-15 10:30:13

First Christmas with pup, so will be interesting to see what he's like with the tree (still waiting for it to arrive). He's pretty non destructive, so I'm hoping it will be okay. Presents under the tree will be a no go though, at least until Christmas Eve night. Cat is older and a bit boring, so we have no issues with him!

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 08-Dec-15 11:30:31

Cat is over 20 years old and ga-ga so she probably will think the tree with lights is part of a dream or something.

Pup is 16 months old, and so it is a small tree for the second year running, as then I can put it on an old chair, so everything on it is out of reach. I just dug up last year's tiny tree from the back garden (after seeing rooted trees the same microscopic size for £25 in the shops, yesterday!) and am going to bring it in the house tonight, then decorate tomorrow. She has been helping me dig soil to put in the pot, (is a terrier and never happier than when digging) and has looked at it as it stands outside at the mo, by the back door, but she doesn't seem to be trying to eat it or anything. And she can be quite a chewer.

BestIsWest Tue 08-Dec-15 15:12:50

Puppy is 15 weeks and totally ignoring the tree. He is being an angel.

NCISaddict Tue 08-Dec-15 15:40:49

Ours has always ignored the tree, his first Christmas he was 6 months old and we feared the worst as we have a real tree and he's male but he completely ignored it, he's now 2.5 and has ignored it each year so will hopefully do the same this year.

insan1tyscartching Tue 08-Dec-15 15:52:18

It's so out of character for Eric to leave anything alone and yet it hasn't had a second glance. He's climbed onto the windowsill to retrieve a hair bobble and onto the dresser for a receipt today (no idea how he sees they are there) and yet the 7 foot tree with shiny baubles continues to be ignored grin

orlakielyimnot Tue 08-Dec-15 20:15:37

Yes cunny funt, exactly like that. And then when the cold weather really hits, and the tree goes, she takes it as a personal slight. ..santa

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 08-Dec-15 22:48:45

Monty hasn't given it a second glance. 😊

MaitlandGirl Thu 10-Dec-15 02:11:43

There is a baby gate between the puppy and the tree - hasn't stopped him climbing the tree though and running round the house trailing tinsel behind him sad

kansasmum Thu 10-Dec-15 03:46:04

We have yet to put our tree up but I cannot imagine it ending well with my complete nutter of a border collie pup!
He's recently started cocking his leg to pee so that could be interesting when there's a tree in the house!
He has ZERO spatial awareness so there will probably be baubles everywhere!
Maybe we will not have a tree this year..........!

Someone reassure me that my pup will not always be bouncier than Tigger on speed?!!

NCISaddict Thu 10-Dec-15 07:48:30

Take heart kansasmum, this one is 2 smile to be fair he's always been quite calm and has never attacked or cocked his leg on the tree.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Thu 10-Dec-15 07:54:05

Staffyy is ignoring it but the JR shoves his face in the minute we leave the room. We hear the tingling baubles. I've had the bugger 12 years and I still can't stop him

From December till Jan my most used sentence is
'for fuck sake Graham get out the tree'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now