Talk

Advanced search

Is there some sort of hack I don't know about to make post - walk dog cleaning easier?

(44 Posts)
MyDogStinks Fri 04-Dec-15 14:45:35

This time of year is a nightmare. We moved to a house with beige carpets which is an absolute nightmare this time of year. The dog goes for even a short walk and the carpet gets destroyed. We've just had a 40 minute walk and I've spent almost that again cleaning the dog; I have to wrap him in a huge towel at the door, carry him up 2 flights to the bathroom, run a bath, wrestle him in it, wash and dry him and then stop him going ape round the house afterwards. Bathroom is trashed and I need to get changed. Then he spends the next couple of hours sulking and giving me his "my life is so shit" face.

Short of having a tap plumbed in outside and hosing him down out the front, (can't afford it right now!) am I missing something? fconfused

GandalfsOtherHat Fri 04-Dec-15 14:49:37

Placemarking with interest!! Was so grateful last week for frozen mud! My rug-with-legs came home significantly cleaner smile

MyDogStinks Fri 04-Dec-15 14:51:05

To be fair, we have just walked through some very boggy fields. But even a quick stroll round the town this time of year means muddy footprints everywhere, and that x3 times a day is a pain in the arse.

Or I could just get rid of the carpet and swap for wipe clean flooring? fwink

BeachysFlipFlops Fri 04-Dec-15 14:51:09

I guess you could put a bucket of water outside before you leave and wash him down when you get back. Or can you just contain him in a room with hard floors while he dries off (then just mop that floor!)?

Gotheftosleep Fri 04-Dec-15 14:53:37

We have a childgate on our kitchen door - muddy springer spaniel is put in there to dry off and then the floor is cleaned. We also have beige carpets - nightmare!

villainousbroodmare Fri 04-Dec-15 14:55:14

Cute dog.
My dog will go to the shower and get in and wait of his own volition, if he knows he's muddy/ has rolled in shite grin. But I don't mind the paw prints as we have tiles.
When we're out with the car, or in your beige carpet scenario, I'd do a good sluice down outside the house with plain warm water from a watering can, towel dry and then put on his fleece and send him to bed/ back seat of car to dry off fully. I don't think it's necessary or desirable to shampoo every day. Because my setter is taller than your cav, I get away with a legs/belly/bum rinse. Not sure if you would.
I use a squirt of human leave-in conditioner and a comb on burrs.
There are such things as dog drying bags. Might put the brakes on going ape about the house!

Chrisalice Fri 04-Dec-15 15:09:37

we are plumbing an outside tap for warm water! bring on the snow!!

JohnCusacksWife Fri 04-Dec-15 15:35:51

We just give our boy a vigorous rub down with an old towel. That gets rid of it all. No showers required (thank god....couldn't be arsed dowing that 4 times a day!)

Floralnomad Fri 04-Dec-15 15:39:55

I have a dog drying bag , it's the original type from the microfibre store and was more expensive than some you can buy . Dog comes back wet and muddy gets put straight into the bag at the front door ,I then lift him to his bed area , leave him for 45 minutes ,then rub him with the bag ( whilst still inside ) release from bag . My dog has short hair , because I have him clipped , and he doesn't usually require brushing after coming out of the bag as the bag seems to wick away the mud especially if you give them a rub with the bag . Once out the bag is shaken outside and put over a chair to dry off ready for the next walk .

pigsDOfly Fri 04-Dec-15 15:59:06

He's really got the 'poor me' face nailed, Mydog smile

WeAllHaveWings Fri 04-Dec-15 16:15:47

We have about 12 dog towels. Our hall/kitchen is hard floors, garage is converted and has industrial carpet tiles which are easy to clean. Our lab gets a very vigorous 10 minute rub down with a clean towel or 2 (which he loves rolling about during so we get right into his tummy and legs) when he gets in and that gets rid of all of it.

Couldn't wash him everyday, to traumatic for us as he hates baths so only gets one or two a year.

MissRainbowBrite Fri 04-Dec-15 16:38:50

Our mud magnet Springer gets either a hose down outside then a good rub down with a towel and an hour in her bed which is in the utility room gated off or if she's rolled in something stinky then she has a sluice down with some warm soapy water then a rinse with warm plain water.
Usually after a good dry off with an old bath towel and an hour behind the gate she is respectable enough to come out.

hairypaws Fri 04-Dec-15 16:50:46

Hi bought a long legged coat for my cocker - wish I'd bought it years ago. I hose her feet and the coat, job done.

mercifulTehlu Fri 04-Dec-15 16:55:29

I feel your pain, OP! Fortunately my ddog is very shorthaired and we have now got rid of all carpets on the ground floor. However, he still puts his enormous great muddy paws everywhere and will not really let me wipe them. He thinks the towel is something to fight and play with hmm.

PseudoBadger Fri 04-Dec-15 17:18:49

Outside tap (cold water - I'm a meanie!), dry with old towels, Equafleece coats on and leave in the utility room. Twice a day.

Fluffy24 Fri 04-Dec-15 17:22:19

Get dog clipped - at least the undercarriage where it's less visible - less hair is less for mud to stick to!

Gotheftosleep Fri 04-Dec-15 17:44:15

How did I not know about those dog drying bags?!

Floralnomad Fri 04-Dec-15 17:59:32

Bad photo of dog in his bag today

FlameFireNora Mon 07-Dec-15 18:34:38

I fill a bucket with hot water before we go for our walk and leave it by the front door, I have a baby bath outside, when we get back 3 hairy dogs get plonked in the baby bath with the now warm water and have an underside wash, then towelled down and confined to the kitchen (tiles and washable rugs) until they've dried off a bit.

Teapot101 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:40:51

If you have your outside tap from your kitchen sink, it's not v expensive to run a hot water one through too. I then used hoselock joiners and a spray head. I used to do this and fill a baby bath outside with a squirt of Johnsons no tangle shampoo in it. Then pop on an equafleece and crate/ confine for a bit if necessary. HTH

Jemimapuddleduk Mon 07-Dec-15 18:42:49

I hose down my mud loving mutt outside then let him dry off a bit outside then towel him down and leave in the kitchen till he is dry.

TrionicLettuce Mon 07-Dec-15 18:47:41

These are supposed to be brilliant at keeping them from getting too wet and mucky in the first place.

BabyGanoush Mon 07-Dec-15 20:11:40

Watering can/bucket of water (with a cup in it for pouring) and old towel by front/back door

Candleabras Mon 07-Dec-15 20:36:50

I bought a plastic baby bath from a car boot sale for £1. I fill it about a third full with hot or warm water depending on the lenght of our walk. An hour and a half walk would require really hot water, then its the correct temperature when we get back. Squirt of doggy shampoo, wash of undercarriage etc, then a good rub with a towel. He is then ready to whizz round the house at 100mph growling and laughing at the same time, slinging toys in the air as he goes.

I know its extravagant to do the water before I go out, but me and my boy appreciate it when we get back!

Dorsetmama Sat 12-Dec-15 07:58:53

Agree with the dog drying bag. Expensive investment but well worth it. I have a Cavachon. I leave the bag draped over the radiator by my back door. Easily accessed when back from walks. They can't really move around in them either, so I plonk her in her crate and then rub her down. It leaves her drier than a towel. I wish i had one for my hair. The bonus is as well that everything that comes off is contained in the bag. Machine washable and can tumble dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now