Talk

Advanced search

12 week old pup, house trained, but not...

(9 Posts)
operaha Wed 02-Dec-15 20:20:32

We have an adorable 12 week old beagle x staff who is settling in very nicely. Waits at the back door for number 2s and as long as you take him straight after nap/drink will wee outside too. But he'll also wee whenever and wherever he feels like it in the house to t. I mean 2 minutes after a massive wee outside, he'll go on the floor inside... It's driving me mad, he absolutely knows to go outside, holds it all night, but then just piddles as he feels like it, tiny dribbles usually hmm

Is this just a puppy thing? Any advice?!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 02-Dec-15 21:22:35

Watch him like a hawk! Even if he's just been outside and peed, as soon as that nose goes down and he looks like he's looking for somewhere to pee, get his arse outside. General rule is outside every twenty minutes and after waking and every meal and drink.

Ruling out any medical reason, toilet training is a nightmare. Make sure you are religiously cleaning the floor where he's been so he can't smell wee there. Don't use bleach, it has ammonia in it which just makes the area smell like wee to them. Get something from the pet shop that masks scents or use washing powder, it also works.

Good luck. grin

Springermum1350 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:33:51

There were times when I though my springer had totally got it. Then bam. Wee all over the floor. It will happen. It just takes more time than you think it should 🙂 I also used a special spray to make sure the smell had gone. Keep going. He will get there I promise. And then one day like me you will realise that he hasn't been on the floor for a few days.

LilCamper Thu 03-Dec-15 08:00:09

Most dogs aren't reliably housetrained until around 8 months. Doesn't mean you neeed to be cleaning puddles, just means you need to be extra vigilant.

Teapot101 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:48:19

No advice but having a hell of a time with my 3 month old spaniel. His nose is down all the time anyway! If he's in crate he's fine but doesn't seem to recognise the house as home IYSWIM.

dietstartsmonday Mon 07-Dec-15 18:49:59

Me too 11 week old staff. I think he is just a bit lazy

Cheerfulmarybrown Mon 07-Dec-15 20:09:15

You lot are expecting a hell of a lot from these young puppies! At 11 weeks or 12 weeks puppies will still need to be reminded where to wee and when to wee.

My new puppy has not weed inside since she was 9 weeks old BUT she is not housetrained I just make sure she is in the right place when she needs to wee. I will continue to do this for months.

It is harder in the winter when the doors are shut and the puppies are inside more but you just need to get them out regularly and see the pattern. Some dogs do wee twice if you have on of these stay outside for the second wee ot come back in after first wee and then go outside immediately again.

They will get it but give them time - they are just babies.

LeaLeander Mon 07-Dec-15 20:15:27

He's only been in the world three short months, poor guy has a lot to process. Give him some time..

ImportantSpanielBusiness Thu 10-Dec-15 21:48:17

I know I always mention the FB group, but it really is all you ever need with regards to dogs. The head behaviourist on it says she wouldn't say any puppy is housetrained before 7 months at least. The puppy's bowel/anal muscles aren't even fully formed until 16 weeks.... I wouldn't expect a 12 week old puppy to be anywhere near housetrained. Yes, walking through pee puddles and playing 'where is the shit I can smell?' gets wearing, but that's puppies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now