Talk

Advanced search

How high should a wall be?

(10 Posts)
Karcheer Wed 02-Dec-15 19:31:37

I need to get a wall built that my cocker spaniel and my mums standard poodle won't be able to jump over. Any ideas how high it should be?

Thanks.

LimeJellyHead Wed 02-Dec-15 21:36:09

How long is a piece of string smile I would say 5 foot should cover it for most dogs but our little terrier could clear 6 foot fences so you never can tell.

SearedChestnut Wed 02-Dec-15 22:58:27

Yes, I was just going to say that our lh daschund can (unbelievably) get his paws up to to nearly 6ft (couldn't get over that height though I hope)

I imagine a standard poodle would be quite agile too

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 02-Dec-15 23:01:28

Both of our dogs are rescues from two different organisations, both home checks wanted to see 6ft fencing round the garden before they would rehome.

kormachameleon Wed 02-Dec-15 23:07:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Karcheer Wed 02-Dec-15 23:25:39

Crickey, I think I'm going to have to think if a different idea then, thank you.

Floralnomad Wed 02-Dec-15 23:35:10

If it's for around a garden I would say 6' minimum , if it's as a garden divider then you may get away with lower - my terrier can clear 5-6' but we have an ornamental metal fence that keeps him on the patio and it's only about 4' and he never attempts to jump it ,I'm sure if the fence between us and the neighbours was the same height he would be over it in a shot .

ruthsmumkath Thu 03-Dec-15 12:55:04

My garden guy who is really into his dogs said rather than wood fencing or walls to go for that metal wire stuff as dogs don't like it - where as a solid wood brick structures gives them something to pull up on.

traviata Thu 03-Dec-15 12:58:51

our sprocker can clear 7ft. he can stand up on his hind legs and he still has enough spring to leap at 7ft wall and scramble over.

Purplepixiedust Thu 03-Dec-15 14:04:47

We have 6ft. If you want a wall, could you have part wall/part fence? Make sure it doesn't give them a leg up though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now