Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a good dog bed that is easy to keep clean?

(12 Posts)
Brytte Mon 30-Nov-15 12:41:23

I need a new dog bed for my small lurcher. I'm currently using a folded up duvet with a removable cover. I wash and change the cover often but she's been ill recently and I have had to wash the duvet a few times in a few days which has not been fun.

Is there a bed that is thickly/rigidly padded in the middle, has a waterproof cover and then a removable soft cover over the top?

AnonymousBird Mon 30-Nov-15 12:52:50

We have had a fantastic bed for our labrador, it's lasted seven years. The cover does not come off ours (it's the mattress bed), but on warmer days, I jet wash/brush it down outside and leave to fully dry to give it a really good clean. In the winter, I tend to put a towel over it to make it a bit cosier for her and vacuum it, turn it, give it a shake and so on but it's harder to really deep clean it in the winter.

It has not lost any of its thickness in all that time and she absolutely loves it. I see they do a wipe down one as well now.

www.tuffies.co.uk/washing-mattress-beds.htm

Whattheydonttellyou Mon 30-Nov-15 13:02:33

I am still waiting for my Groupon new dog bed to arrive as it was a very popular Groupon and a lot were bought. I buy cheap (ish) beds and then line them with old matress protectors I cut to fit the bed. When the dog is ill I can dispose of the soiled bedding.

We have a terrier with digestive issues (very old and goes "liquid" and can be a bit sicky in the night when fed crisps/biscuits/cheese/toast etc by toddler grandchildren who visit in the day, despite my best efforts to stay on top of it)

Not a very nice subject, sorry!

StrapOnDodo Mon 30-Nov-15 13:10:09

I have a hard plastic bed for my lab, lined with about four layers of vet bed/ fake vet bed. It's like a shaggy fleece material with a mesh backing which washes really well-it feels dry when it has been spun. I tend to buy a new metre of it about once a year for the top layer and use the older ones in the boot. I put towels on top when he's got wet or muddy to keep in all cleaner.

mollie123 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:40:06

purchased my 'large lurcher' one of these (xxl) and the middle bit has a removable cover which can be washed. he loves it
www.wolfybeds.co.uk/luxury-dog-beds/cookie_cradle_xl

mollie123 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:42:20

here he is esconced on in before it acquired the pawprint look

patterkiller Mon 30-Nov-15 17:45:03

My dogs love this. It's a bit like a firm trampoline it doesn't hold smell and it's so easy to clean in the garden with warm water.

For mine it has the bonus of keeping them cool especially in the summer.

Teapot101 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:45:42

Google tuffies. They don't get soggy and you can get away with a bit of a hoover or wash the cover easily.

Brytte Tue 01-Dec-15 09:49:32

Thanks everyone. I'll check all those options out. I live the look of the tuffies but the price will make DH's eyes water. I might have to stealth purchase one

TheTigerIsOut Tue 01-Dec-15 09:52:20

My very old dog had a whelping blanket, it was comfy enough to support his aching joints but small enough to pop in the washer regularly. They dry very quickly too.

KinkyAfro Tue 01-Dec-15 10:14:08

I bought some memory foam cut offs from Amazon and a waterproof cover, I then put a washable cover over the top which I wash every week.

Whattheydonttellyou Wed 02-Dec-15 08:29:23

Tiger - I did not know there were such things as whelping blankets so will look into that. It is hard keeping dog beds clean when dogs are old and poorly. Hope OP gets sorted.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now