Talk

Advanced search

Best boots for dog walking...any suggestions?

(21 Posts)
toadflax Sat 28-Nov-15 21:15:19

I'm thinking leather is the most durable option, comfy, sturdy, good grip, preferably not too heavy.
Everything I own seems to have holes in and my mum has offered to buy me birthday boots :-)

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 28-Nov-15 21:19:37

Dubarry £££ or Dublin ££ boots worth every penny in my view - have Dublin boots at the moment ... Dog walk through fields and over hills - they cope admirably and I hose then off when I hide the hound off at the end of the walk !!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 28-Nov-15 21:20:15

Lol hose them off when I hose the hound !!!!

toadflax Sat 28-Nov-15 21:24:24

Thank you, will have a look. My dog would rather hide than be hosed. He tolerates a warm bath but makes sad noises.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 28-Nov-15 22:01:36

Ah ! Mine has no choice if he wants to come back into my clean house !!!!
( I'd hose my husband too given half a chance !!! ) grin

Suzietwo Sat 28-Nov-15 22:06:23

Ive tried so many ranging in price up to several hundred quid but have found the best solution is short Dunlop wellies. About a tenner from Amazon. Easy on and off, live outside, no mess, no maintenance. I but 2 sizes too large so can fit massive socks if cold

OutToGetYou Sat 28-Nov-15 22:13:10

Yep, £5 Dunlop wellies, add £1 sheepskin insoles for extra warmth. I've had mine years and wear them all the time.
Prefer them to my leather wellies.
Though I am very find of my waterproof zip up Timberland ankle boots too.

TedGlen Sat 28-Nov-15 22:15:53

I'd second dubarry boots- comfy, warm, waterproof and last for years. I'd also recommend neoprene lined wellies, Le Chameau do them. All the practicality of wellies, but warm too.

WizardOfToss Sat 28-Nov-15 22:17:34

Aigle wellies. Brilliant fit, can walk for miles, warm, last for years. Wear mine every day, so although they are expensive, they are worth it.

LyndaNotLinda Sat 28-Nov-15 22:20:42

I love my Ilse Jacobsen Hornbaeks. They're really long, warm and they look a lot nicer than most wellies (IMO)

parrotonmyshoulder Sat 28-Nov-15 22:23:26

Aigle wellies with neoprene lining. I could wear mine as slippers! So comfy and I have crap feet. Four winters old now and worn every day when wet or cold.

Suzietwo Sat 28-Nov-15 22:25:13

Ooooh
Am off to google sheepskin insoles

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Nov-15 22:27:36

I love my heat holder socks. Lovely.
(not what you asked!)

DonaldTrumpsHairpiece Sat 28-Nov-15 22:33:22

Le chameau are fab. Very durable. Mine have lasted years in spite of being worn every day, often in rain, mud & snow. They've outlasted other brands by a mile - specifically, hunter & joules.

ottothedog Sat 28-Nov-15 22:47:20

Proper walking boots? I have fleece lined hiking boots and a pair of snow boots. Can walk miles in both

toadflax Sat 28-Nov-15 23:14:24

Thank you all, lots of things to look at! Dubarry are definitely beyond my price range.
If there are wellies that fit well that is good.
Fleecy liners excellent idea.
Wolfie, anything that keep feet warm is good :-)
You are all lovely people and I shall continue my research tomorrow xx

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Nov-15 23:15:55

And I like my Ariat wellies. I'm really tall and they reach right up to my knees!!

JohnCusacksWife Sat 28-Nov-15 23:17:29

Gumbie fleece lined wellies. Can be hard to find in the UK though.

toadflax Sun 29-Nov-15 10:11:54

Okay, I have looked at everything and now have a head full of boots.
I have a new faith in wellies as I thought all modern ones were made to split and leak.
Otto, I have recently retired my hiking boots after the holes in the sides filled up with mud. They were starting to smell really peculiar.
Really liking the Dublins, Le Chameau, oh and the jacobsen ones with laces, quite funky :-)
Wolfie, I am really short so long ones would reach my thighs :-D
I need to find somewhere I can try things on.
Thank you everybody.

CakeUpWall Sun 29-Nov-15 10:31:12

It depends on the terrain where you walk, really. If it's very rough/ uneven ground, walking boots are probably best to support your ankles.

In your position I would go to a proper outdoor shop; the old-fashioned sort with knowledgable assistants. (God, I sound like my Nan.) They will measure your feet, chat with you about where you regularly walk, and come up with the ideal footwear. It's honestly worth the ££ to get the right thing.

toadflax Sun 29-Nov-15 10:45:52

Good idea. Terrain varies where we walk. I also have some mobility issues so what I wear has to be just right. There are a couple of countryside type shops in the area, might go and see if they would be helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now