Talk

Advanced search

BigDog has the big C

(18 Posts)
ModreB Tue 24-Nov-15 20:48:23

I don't normally post in this section. I don't normally post at all really.

But tonight we got the diagnosis that BigDog has an aggressive form of cancer. He is currently happy, pain free and eating, but the speed at which his tumour had grown is scary. It has trebled in size in a week. BigDog is now on painkillers and ok.

Vet is not optimistic, getting a second opinion to confirm, but we will get a call tomorrow.

He has been such a big part of the family for over 13 years. What the hell do I do. He's like one of my kids.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 25-Nov-15 00:10:00

God I'm so sorry. We went through this last year with our old boy. Unfortunately it was too late for him. Is chemo an option? flowers

DramaAlpaca Wed 25-Nov-15 00:13:58

So sorry to hear that, ModreB flowers

LimeJellyHead Wed 25-Nov-15 14:13:14

Sorry to hear that and hope you are OK.... although I know what a massive shock it is. Our terrier was diagnosed with aggressive tongue cancer 3 weeks ago. Its a tough time. Hugs to you flowers

orangeyellowgreen Wed 25-Nov-15 20:14:32

So sorry but 13 is a good old age for most big dogs. Don't put him through gruelling treatment just to gain a little extra time, be brave enough to say goodbye before he suffers pain or distress. It will be harder for you than for him.

LimeJellyHead Wed 25-Nov-15 21:08:18

I think if the dog is currently happy, eating and pain free, like you say he is, then enjoy this time if you can and take your time. Don't feel rushed. Your doggie doesn't know any different for now. Let everyone have time to get over this shock, enjoy some last days or weeks or maybe even months together. Your dog will tell you when enough is enough. That is what we are doing with our dog and the vet is 100% in agreement. Until the dog is ready to go, don't do anything hasty. You will know when he is fed up.

I researched chemo in dogs a few years ago when our Berkeley had his first tumour and everything I read about it said that is was nothing like what humans have to endure. Not saying do it and definitely not to only gain a week or so but don't feel bad if you want to investigate that option with your vet. It's your dog, you and your vet's decision.

As long as your dog is happy and eating and playing and everything normal then see life through their eyes.... all is well. The time comes when the time comes.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 27-Nov-15 10:42:30

Oh gosh Modre, I am so sorry to hear about your boy. We had a similar diagnosis last June and it is such a huge shock isn't it. We spent our last few days spoiling ours rotten and taking him to all his favourite places (even if it meant DH carrying 33kg of Lab back to the car when walking got too much for him). I agree with LimeHead, don't rush into any decisions, he will let you know when it's time. Meanwhile there is always someone here to offer support.

ModreB Fri 27-Nov-15 19:49:07

Sorry, not been back for a few days. Yesterday was horrible, he was so ill. The original meds disagreed with him. Got new meds from the vet, and this morning he was up, waggy and looking for food. If we can keep him this way, we will be happy

We, and the vet agree when he dips again, we will do the right thing.

Surgery is not an option, the tumour is too close to his heart to be safe.

We are treating the pain, he is pain free at the moment.

I just hope we can get to next weekend when the boys (DS25yo and DS23yo) can come home. He was their dog, and he loves them so much. And them him.

He is currently on a diet of steroids, chicken, brown rice and egg.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 27-Nov-15 20:00:40

Aww, well I'm glad he seems a bit happier. When our old boy decided he'd had enough he simply stopped eating. We tried to tempt him with everything we could think of but he just wasn't interested. If he's still eating and showing some interest in life he sounds like he's happy enough for now.

ModreB Sun 20-Dec-15 13:50:34

So, today was the day. All the DC's had been home to see him. We knew he'd had enough. It was the right thing, so why do I feel so guilty.

TPel Sun 20-Dec-15 13:51:44

I'm so sorry. flowers

TPel Sun 20-Dec-15 13:52:26

You did the right thing. It is your last act of love to take his pain away

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Sun 20-Dec-15 13:54:23

I'm sorry for your loss. For what it's worth, you shouldn't feel guilty at all. You've allowed your pet to die with dignity, pain free and surrounded with love. I'm sure he had a wonderful life with you and your DCs.

thanks

knobblyknee Sun 20-Dec-15 15:50:30

Sincere condolences.
Ask the vet about two stage euthanasia, they should be able to give you a sedative. You give that to him half an hour before and let him fall asleep in the car. They can come out to the car, you shouldnt need to carry him in.
You will have to put him on a layer of blankets over something waterproof.
Or have them come to the house.

Also, I know this sounds awful but I am going to say it anyway - ask if afterwards you can donate his body to a veterinary hospital.
I always ask this. If an animal has an unusual condition it may be useful for them to study. Oddly it comforts me slightly to know it wasnt in vain.

Goingtobeawesome Sun 20-Dec-15 15:54:55

I'm so sorry.

We lost three pets in five months and all had to be PTS. It's the price you pay for the joy you get from them.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 20-Dec-15 16:06:53

It's an awful feeling but you did absolutely the right thing.

flowers

RoosterCogburn Sun 20-Dec-15 16:07:09

I'm so sorry - it's the hardest thing to do but, of course, it is done for love.

BestIsWest Sun 20-Dec-15 17:53:44

You did the right thing. We had to do the same in August when our DDog had lymphoma. I'm still heartbroken even though we have a new pup. So sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now