Talk

Advanced search

How long until dogs get used to each other?

(4 Posts)
honeybuffe Tue 24-Nov-15 11:10:56

I have two dogs, both are just over a year. They were originally foster pups, but I failed and they are still here! The rescues here are over run, so I have a foster pup, approx 8 weeks here and the grumbling and barking is driving me mad. It's not been 24hrs yet and the pup is going to be here for approx 3 weeks and I'm wondering how long it took if you brought a new dog into the house for your dog(s)to settle with the new arrival? I know some dogs are instantly good hosts but for those who aren't immediately. They have no food sharing issues, pup had her face in their bowls while eating and my two are fine about it, it seems to be when she's on the move, they follow her, and particularly my male dog growls, not barring teeth, but a little bit snappy but hasn't hurt the pup but certainly given her a fright (thought she was being murdered as she was screeching, but not a mark on her thankfully). I could just do with knowing this posturing won't go on for the next 3 weeks.

honeybuffe Tue 24-Nov-15 14:17:29

Sorry in case that's not clear, the foster pup is approx 8 weeks old and she will be here for approx 3 weeks

CaptainKit Tue 24-Nov-15 14:40:45

When I brought CapPup home he was about 12 weeks old, and CapDog was 2 1/2 years. I found I had to crate Pup otherwise he wouldn't leave Dog alone, and also wouldn't sleep - I think the new place and new dog and new everything was just too overwhelming/stimulating for him. By feeding him in the crate and encouraging him to nap in there it gave Dog a break.

Also, as it was summer I let Pup outside a lot to run off his energy, which might not help you so much.

But yeah; if you can enable it so that your dogs are given some time out from the puppy they might settle down. Alternatively can you split them up - a baby gate between rooms for the next day or two until the pup is less of a novelty?

honeybuffe Tue 24-Nov-15 23:31:06

Thanks for the tips, when I have to go out I have kept pup seperate, also just to make sure she's safe as she's so young and in case there was any chance it could escalate when I wasn't around. It's not her energy (she is actually quite a poorly little thing today and had to go to the vets) I think it probably is just the novelty which means my two are not being the best hosts. Hopefully they will all settle soon, and stop driving me demented!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now