Talk

Advanced search

Age of growth-plate closure - border collie

(5 Posts)
Chrisalice Mon 23-Nov-15 15:40:39

Does anyone know what the breed average is? Surprisingly hard to find any stats!

Cheerfulmarybrown Mon 23-Nov-15 19:45:03

I agree it is hard to find scientific evidence on this. I had a 10 month old collie x rayed (for another reason) and his plates were closed but I had another one that grew several inches after the age of 1. So I am no help at allsmile.

Do you want to know re exercise or just general curiosity?

LilCamper Tue 24-Nov-15 08:54:19

I would hazard a guess at somewhere around 18 months.

Chrisalice Tue 24-Nov-15 09:28:27

Thanks, there are references all over to the difference between breeds and sizes but nothing specific. I've seen a few sources saying their collies were x-rayed for whatever reason and plates were closed averaging around the 11 month mark, some as early as 9.

I was thinking I might start adding 2 minute jogs every 10 mins or so into our softer surface outings - that would just be no more than a trot to the 10 month pup - just for variety as much as anything.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 24-Nov-15 10:44:32

I'd be surprised if it was as late as 18 months - my dog is the size of a small border collie and he'd stopped growing before 10 months

He had X-rays at just over a year and the plates were definitely fused by then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now