Talk

Advanced search

Tips for worming please

(7 Posts)
SmileAndNod Sun 22-Nov-15 07:14:13

We are about to give our 11 week old puppy his second dose of wormer. The vet found it difficult at his puppy check even with hiding it in food so goodness knows how we'll manage.

For a beagle he's not really food motivated. Do we just try and get it as far back in his mouth and hope he swallows it?

Any tips please?

pigsDOfly Sun 22-Nov-15 19:10:20

I crushed mine, or rather the dog's, last worming pill and wrapped the powder in a small amount of smoked salmon. Worked a treat. Obviously you have to check if the pill you're using can be crushed, this was a Drontal pill.

My dog, not food motivated either, is also impossible to get pills into. She only has to take half a pill but you'd think I was trying to poison her.

If I leave it whole and try to disguise it by wrapping it in anything - even smoked salmon - she will pick it out and leave it and trying to get it into the back of her throat, well that's just not going to happen smile

SmileAndNod Sun 22-Nov-15 20:55:21

Well I put it towards the back of his throat, rubbed his neck and he swallowed it. Was expecting a long battle and had a variety of food to hand but he was as good as gold. It was a bone shaped drontal too.

Now if we could just get him to stop nipping ears....

pigsDOfly Mon 23-Nov-15 00:15:45

Oh, well done. smile

TheVeryHungryScreamerpillar Wed 25-Nov-15 11:39:05

I cover the tablet in peanut butter, our spaniel takes it off the spoon now.

sparechange Thu 26-Nov-15 11:05:56

My top tip would be to use Advocate from now on, as he is old enough for it. It is miles easier than trying to get them to take tablets!

pigsDOfly Thu 26-Nov-15 19:48:21

Advocate and Drontal are not interchangeable unfortunately Sparechange.

They treat different types of worms so both need to be given.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now