Talk

Advanced search

Please please help me, I have 2 pups and a Mum what do I do?

(32 Posts)
Inowhave2puppies Sat 21-Nov-15 20:16:06

I just went to look at a puppy I was thinking of buying from a supposedly reputable person.

The conditions they were being kept in were horrendus, there were 2 left and I ended up buying them both and the mum too.

I'm pretty sure the pups are not 8 weeks, maybe nearer 5, and the poor Mum looks exhausted, under fed and pretty unhealthy.

I know I shouldn't have bought them, I know I shouldn't have, but I needed to get them out of there, I absolutely couldn't have left them there.

I am sitting here frantically doing sums, I think I can afford to keep them all, I have enough time, energy, space etc. I will take them up to the vet tomorrow morning first thing to get them checked over.

Please tell me if it is wise (they are all female) to keep them all.

What should I be doing, what can I do?

I have no idea what came over me.

Hoppinggreen Sat 21-Nov-15 20:20:21

Would you consider getting them all up to full strength and then rehoming the pups properly?
3 dogs is quite a lot to take on and training the pups will be very hard work

Dieu Sat 21-Nov-15 20:25:28

Oh, bless your heart. You have done a brave and kindhearted thing. Maybe contact a rescue centre to ask their advice. Even if you did look to sell in due course, to recoup your money when the pups are older and healthier, they could probably still advise. Good luck.

Inowhave2puppies Sat 21-Nov-15 20:26:21

I think I might have to, I was prepared for one pup, not 2 and a dog. Now I'm kicking myself for buying them all, I couldn't have left them there.

I'm going to see what the vet says about their ages tomorrow, they are really young, I'm sure they aren't 8 weeks so will need to stay with Mum for a bit.

Would I be better contacting a rescue do you think? I'm really inexperienced, I don't want them jilted from pillar to post though.

Inowhave2puppies Sat 21-Nov-15 20:28:42

I don't mind losing the money so much, I would rather lose it and have them safe and happy.

I think the Mum might have problems I maybe can't deal with though, the way she was living was just awful.

Dieu Sat 21-Nov-15 20:31:54

From what I've read on here, rescue centres tend to have waiting lists of people keen for a pup, so I don't think they'd be there long. I'd imagine that this time of year wouldn't be ideal however, as people's motives for getting a pup might be suspect. A dog isn't just for Christmas, as they say! I have no experience, but would have thought that a good rescue centre could advise you, particularly in relation to rehoming mum in due course.

Dieu Sat 21-Nov-15 20:33:32

Okay, if the money isn't so much of an issue, then I would definitely advise contacting a good, reputable rescue centre/rehoming charity. Steer well clear of Gumtree and the like.

wallywobbles Sat 21-Nov-15 20:36:53

Please please please make a report to the police about the place you got them too. And whatever other authority might be interested.

You have done the right thing but you have just created a vacancy for the next poor dog.

cranberryx Sat 21-Nov-15 20:40:28

I would keep them at least until after christmas with the idea of nursing them back to health - if the puppies are only about 5 weeks they need to be with their mum a little bit longer.

You are a wonderful person for doing this, truly. These dogs are so lucky to have you.

I would just focus on what you can do for now and then look at rehoming in the new year once all of the spontaneous dog purchasers tail off, it really does happen this time of year as my old boss was one. Made a decision so quickly and the poor dog was in a shelter in 3 months time. sad

I found pets for homes was a good one, gumtree and eBay I would steer clear of. If they are a specific breed there are specific shelters.

Or you could rehome them, with a view to fostering until they find their forever home - that is if you don't fall in love with them all and keep them (but I am a sucker sometimes who would be overrun by dogs if DP allowed it)

TrionicLettuce Sat 21-Nov-15 20:45:04

If you haven't raised puppies from younger than 8 weeks before then I'd definitely contact some rescues and see if any of them would be able to either take them and rehome them when appropriate or support you in fostering them.

If they're a particular breed then most breed clubs have rescue networks run by their members. I've had dealings with several and always found them to be immensely helpful and absolutely passionate about dogs of their breed, wherever they've come from.

Inowhave2puppies Sat 21-Nov-15 20:51:13

I would love to keep the Mum, she is a sweet little thing, she was living in a 'shed' (made from pallets) outside, no bedding, she has fleas as do the pups, there was no water, there was some dry food on the floor, and she isn't toilet trained at all. I am so inexperienced though.

Would the police do anything? Especially now I have taken them all. If I thought about it I would have been better leaving them there and calling them so they could see.

There were no other dogs, they did have about 10 cats though. i will be speaking to RSPCA and some rescues tomorrow.

The last thing I wanted was to create a vacancy for another dog, I just didn't think. He sold me the mum really cheaply and didn't bat an eyelid when I asked, just took the money.

The mum is a lurcher, I have no idea what the pups are crossed with. I think I would like to keep them for now, would a rescue support me with that? I just don't want the poor things confused any more than they are already and I'll happily look after them until they can be rehomed in their forever homes I want to keep them all

TrionicLettuce Sat 21-Nov-15 20:59:44

Another MNetter got a huge amount of help from Hounds First when a pregnant lurcher turned up on her doorstep. Have a read of this thread. There are plenty of other lurcher specific rescues up and down the who may also be able to offer you help.

Have you raised puppies before or do you know anyone who has? If not I'd recommend getting a copy of the Book of the Bitch which also covers puppy rearing. This website has an excellent breakdown of the developmental stages of puppies and what they should be seeing/hearing/experiencing at each stage.

Booboostwo Sat 21-Nov-15 21:42:11

You acted out of the goodness of your heart but what you did was wrong. You gave this person money so an incentive to do this again with another dog. Ideally you should have walked away and contacted the RSPCA who may have had a chance to put an end to this.

The main thing now is the welfare of the dogs. They need to see a vet ASAP, can you afford this? If then mum is undernourished the pups may need a special diet to support them while she recovers. I'd try to get them all back to good health and see if you can't rehome some of them although be careful of how you go about this. It would be best to rehome with the help of a rescue centre for help with screening potential homes and backup if anything goes wrong.

Dieu Sat 21-Nov-15 22:09:58

I can't imagine how miserable mum's life must have been. When the fuck is it going to be against the law to breed without proper licensing?

jorahmormont Sat 21-Nov-15 22:18:39

Boo The OP has said that she feels like she should have called the RSPCA, she said she's feeling bad - the last thing she needs is you coming onto the thread to be sanctimonious about it.

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 21-Nov-15 22:22:26

Oh op, you are a kind, kind person. No advice but sending my best wishes flowerschocolate

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 21-Nov-15 22:27:39

I'd be tempted to keep mum and one pup and use a rescue (even if you 'foster' pup for them to re-home the other. The reason being it is very very hard to train two pups simultaneously. Especially as you have to housetrain mum too. You have done the right thing rescuing them. Love to you, for that. x

I got my pup from a rescue and once up for adoption, they go in hours - usually to people on a long waiting list! But maybe the rescue could advertise a pup but you keep it with mum, so it doesn't have the scary going into rescue experience? Just a thought.

I contacted the RSPCA last week having watched my neighbour's wife hurl their labrador to the floor (extracting him from a car boot) and then her husband kicking him four times - hard. A week on and the dog is still with the cruel, evil idiots next door.

The RSPCA are an utter waste of time. Tell them anyway though. They need to be made to spend those massive legacies they get.

mrslaughan Sat 21-Nov-15 22:32:43

I would get them to the vet ASAP, then.....are they a "breed"? If so I would ( and mumsnet may be a huge help with this) get in contact with the breed rescue to help with advice and rehoming (the last thing you want is the pups to end in the same situation........)
or mumsnet (or your vet) may be able to put you in touch with someone in your area who has experience with raising pups can mentor you....
As for welfare issues - i would be making a complaint with the RSPCA, local council and dog warden.

Booboostwo Sun 22-Nov-15 07:03:07

jorah I am not being sanctimonious, just pointing out that good intentions can have bad consequences. Despite all the information out there about how to source a puppy from a reputable breeder or a responsible rescue MN is full of people who get their dogs from the wrong people (just look at the other thread about the deposit for a pup that was never viewed, a breeder that was never vetted, etc - another recipe for disaster).

The reality is that by buying from irresponsible breeders we are encouraging them to breed again, we are removing the evidence that may have led to their prosecution, we are discouraging responsible breeders/rescues who are left with their puppies, we take on a serious financial burden of caring for ill treated animals and often the dogs need extra training, attention and patience to overcome the behavioural issues caused by their earlier neglect,msometimes creating a further re homing problem.

Walking away from neglect and abuse is very very difficult but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 22-Nov-15 07:11:53

And sometimes you just have to be a lovely, warm-hearted human. You're a star OP flowers

Good luck smile

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 22-Nov-15 07:23:20

Op what a lovely thing to do. So wrong that you felt you had to. Hope you get some good advice and help from a rescue organisation. Three dogs is a lot! Puppies are very much easier to rehome than adult dogs, so if j were you I'd keep the mum and possibly just one of the puppies. Good luck.

Inowhave2puppies Sun 22-Nov-15 12:07:13

I have taken them to the vet this morning, who was very helpful.

The pups are about 6 weeks old, they seem healthy enough apart from the fleas, for which they have been treated now.

The Mum is underweight and he thinks anemic, she has an infection in one of her paws, the vet gave me lots of advice about food for her, gave me antibiotics for her foot, and she is going back next week, she was also treated for fleas, the vet thinks she is really young too.

I called the RSPCA who were, as I thought they would be, worse than useless, she was outside but had a shelter of sorts, she had food too so they wouldn't have done anything if I had left her. It sounds like they wouldn't have even went out.

I phoned a couple of local rescues with no luck, but then managed to get hold of a lady who is coming around this evening to discuss what to do from here.

The three of them are warm, safe, dry and fed now. I may have been stupid taking them all, and I didn't look at the bigger picture, I didn't even think about anything beyond how awful the whole situation was. After speaking to the RSPCA I'm glad I did it though.

I'm not the most experienced owner and never intended to take on an older dog who may well have problems, but I've fallen a bit in love with her. I am going to have an honest talk with the rescue lady and see what she thinks, I think I would at least like to keep them all until a decent home is found, but I do think I would like to keep the mum, I'll keep an eye on her and see if it is going to be wise to keep a pup too, totally dependent on her.

Thank you for all the advice I'll update again tonight when the rescue lady has been over.

villainousbroodmare Sun 22-Nov-15 12:15:22

You did a nice thing.
I imagine it will not be hard to get good homes for the puppies, less so for the bitch. You'll have to get her spayed and get a worm dose and at least the first vaccination into the pups.

CMOTDibbler Sun 22-Nov-15 12:21:31

Evesham greyhound and lurcher rescue are really good if the lady you are seeing tonight can't help.

elastamum Sun 22-Nov-15 12:24:18

Well done OP, you did a lovely thing. I'm sure you will be fine, just take it slowly, get lots of advice and try to keep them in a room with washable flooring! smile star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now