Talk

Advanced search

When did you get your male dog neutered?

(21 Posts)
Dieu Sat 21-Nov-15 19:38:22

Evening all smile I have a 6 month old Shih Tzu pup. He was having some lovely puppy play with a female dog we met at the park this evening (they were both off lead as it was dark and freezing, so no-one else around). He is very much still in the puppy stage, with lots of running around and leaping about. He then started to hump her (my baby!!), but thankfully the owner wasn't concerned or annoyed, as her dog had been spayed. It got me thinking about how I should probably keep him on the lead at all times, and that I should start thinking about getting him neutered in due course. He hasn't done any humping at home, this was a first! Any advice? Thanks as always.

Floralnomad Sat 21-Nov-15 21:20:06

Mine was done at about 10 months ,he's a patterdale x and weighs about 13-14kg ( adult weight) , he was humping everything in sight from about 6/7 months .

eckythumpenallthat Sat 21-Nov-15 21:22:17

I've got a pure patterdale we got him done at about 6 months. He was jumping everything and was mad as a box of frogs. He's still crackers just no humping!

Sheep2345 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:32:12

Just to say, when do you get your dog done, I'd recommend contacting your local dogs home, I'm from Manchester and they do neutering for about a 1/3 of the price of a vets, suppose they don't want any accidental pups coming their way!!

Pinkponiesrock Sat 21-Nov-15 21:41:06

Ours was 6 months old, the vet said they were small but they were there and she could take them off.

He doesn't lift his leg to pee which can be a side effect of early castration but I can deal with that, saves the embarrassment of him pissing on someones leg blush

Lokibuddyboo Mon 23-Nov-15 03:26:53

I got my chihuahua cross jrt done at 10 months old.
Most vets will neuter from 6 months but after doing some research and speaking with my vet I decided to wait til he was 10 months old before getting him done.
Also you could ask your vet about any neutering schemes as I got my dogs neutering subsidised at my vets practice through the dogs trust it only cost me £35.

nooka Mon 23-Nov-15 05:05:40

Our pup came to us at eight weeks already neutered (rescue policy). He still humped enthusiastically at around about that age! Not particularly female dogs, and not always the right way around but still fairly embarrassing. Female dogs (spayed and unspayed) quite often hump other dogs too.

Generally distraction is the best approach with dogs, using a treat or other reward.

phoenixrose314 Mon 23-Nov-15 05:19:55

We had our black Labrador booked in for as soon as he turned six months! DH had two young children who visited ours regularly and we didn't want the dog to become aggressive or display dominating behaviours, so we nipped it in the bud before it could even start. It's probably a good idea to do it this way, as these behaviours can continue even once they've had the snip as it becomes habitual.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 23-Nov-15 08:04:43

Ours was done at coming up to ten months - he's not a big breed and the vet said his growth plates were pretty much fused by then. He was marking everywhere and humping everything in sight plus he was getting picked on a lot by other males. The humping and marking stopped immediately as did the bullying from other dogs - we live in a very densely 'doggy' area so he needs to get on with all sorts.

Ironically he now (at 2) hates other dogs humping him - it's the only thing he'll snap at another dog for..

LilCamper Mon 23-Nov-15 08:24:20

My lab is booked in for this week. He is 4. He has never tried to dominate anything because dogs don't.

tabulahrasa Mon 23-Nov-15 09:01:04

Ideally you want them to have finished growing (that's a different age for different breeds) because there's evidence emerging that early neutering causes joint problems, especially in large breed dogs and that the loss of testosterone can increase the likelihood of fear based aggression issues, so you want to wait for his growth plates to fuse and to have a pretty good idea that your dog isn't going to be fearful.

marmaladegranny Mon 23-Nov-15 09:12:58

My DDog is almost 3, still entire and no problem. He went through a phase of humping cushions when he was 9-12 months (teenage!) and was interested when his best friend had her first season, so he is not sexless!
The dog trainer recommended that he was not neutered as he is a very gentle dog and neutering might change his personality. My Vet also considered it would be a mistake to neuter him for several reasons but if he becomes a target to other male dogs we might have to rethink.
He will not be used as a stud dog!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 23-Nov-15 10:03:59

Six months is far too young to neuter a large breed like a lab. I got asked the question at the vets the other day. I took my nine month old lab in for a check up and the vet nurse asked me if I would consider having him neutered. I said not really, as there seems to be more suggestion these days that it's actually more detrimental to their long term health than not. She immediately said that I should reconsider as testicular cancer is extremely common in dogs. Well, sorry, but I've done a lot of reading on it and that's an old fashioned opinion. I think I'll ask around a few different vets when he's old enough.

LilCamper Mon 23-Nov-15 10:14:46

Testicular cancer is also easy to detect and get rid of. I'm not going to suggest my husband has his nuts chopped off 'just in case', just that he checks them regularly.

It should be part of an intact dog's regular health check routines.

Cheerfulmarybrown Mon 23-Nov-15 12:38:07

Humping is not a sexual act by young dogs and they do not need to be castrated because of it.

Humping is due to emotion so he could have been having fun with the other dog and this makes him hump. Female puppies hump as much as boy puppies.

I would never castrate at 6 months (unless there was a real medic reason - which are rare).

Dieu Mon 23-Nov-15 13:08:19

Thanks everyone

Dieu Mon 23-Nov-15 14:35:53

I won't get him neutered at this early age, but will keep him on the leash. He didn't used to hump at all when he was a bit younger, even in times of great excitement, so I'm not convinced it isn't sexual ... especially as he started leg cocking this week! Actually, tell a lie, I did catch him humping his cuddly toy a while back, but I thought that was a dominance thing?

Thanks again everyone for your replies - some interesting food for thought.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 23-Nov-15 15:04:06

Is he still peeing in the house Dieu? I remember you saying from before.

Cheerfulmarybrown Mon 23-Nov-15 20:32:34

Nope not dominance and not sexual.

why dogs hump

Dieu Mon 23-Nov-15 23:33:26

Ms, it is getting better, thanks for asking. Funnily enough, improvement has coincided with him starting to cock his leg outdoors. He now seems a bit more reluctant to pee inside. Will still happily poo anywhere though!

Dieu Mon 23-Nov-15 23:41:47

Thanks Cheerful, I found the article very interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now