Talk

Advanced search

Should this dog have been wearing a muzzle?

(22 Posts)
BarbieBrightSide Sat 21-Nov-15 12:58:01

Dh was walking our dog this morning.
The dog ran ahead (as he usually does) and met a dog on a lead. Our dog ran up to this other dog and was attacked. He is now at the vet being stitched and DH is feeling terribly guilty.

I have seen the other dog before, the owner always has it on a lead as it is known to be aggressive.

We accept that DH was at fault for not checking that the way was clear before letting our dog loose, BUT, should the aggressive dog have been wearing a muzzle while being walked on a public footpath? And if yes, is there any way that we can get this owner to do this?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 21-Nov-15 13:06:55

The one thing I know about dog etiquette is that you never, never, never let your off lead dog run up to a dog kept on a lead! It's kept on a lead for a reason.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Crankycunt Sat 21-Nov-15 13:13:09

Their dog was on a lead, your dog ran up to it, it was on a lead for a reason. If the dog wasn't on a lead and was out of control you'd have a point but this dog was on a lead.

I hope that your dog recovers quickly.

Seeyounearertime Sat 21-Nov-15 13:16:31

should the aggressive dog have been wearing a muzzle while being walked on a public footpath?

Possibly but, without causing offence, shouldn't your dog have been on a lead or trained with recall to a standard so as not to approach unknown dogs?

I think faultmlies with you OH, hope doggy recovers quickly.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 21-Nov-15 13:34:02

Dogs on leads often feel insecure when an unleashed dog comes up to them. They feel cornered, cannot avoid the other dog or escape and will sometimes take defensive action. This was obviously excessive and I hope your dog recovers quickly but never let your unleashed dog approach a leashed dog.

BarbieBrightSide Sat 21-Nov-15 13:45:38

I don't let the dog loose until I know the way is clear and if I spot someone coming towards us I put him on the lead until we've passed or agreedto let the dogs have a play and I agree that DH was totally at fault there.

I am surprised that the other dog does not need to be muzzled on a public footpath though.

LilCamper Sat 21-Nov-15 14:26:50

Legally it was your dog that was out of control.

StayWithMe Sat 21-Nov-15 14:34:47

I'm sorry OP but if I was the other dog owner I'd be really pissed at an unleashed dog running up to my nervous/aggressive dog, while I was keeping him under control on a leash. I would be especially annoyed if the dog was owned by someone who already knew my dog had issues.

I've had dogs run up to my very, small Yorkie and the owners think it's funny or shocking when he reacts aggressively. He is a wee rescue that was horribly neglected/abused by an animal hoarder.

In saying that, I'm also terribly sorry that you're wee dog got hurt and I hope he recovers quickly. It's very distressing when they are harmed. flowers

Greyhorses Sat 21-Nov-15 14:53:12

Sorry to hear about your dog but your DH was in the wrong here.
The other dog was on lead and under control and yours was not.

I have an aggressive dog and she is always on lead and under control. She would bite an approaching dog but I don't muzzle her because people should not be letting their dogs approach her in the first place.
On a public footpath is irrelevant as the dog technically is under control, on a lead as the law states.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 21-Nov-15 14:58:12

If your dog doesn't have a reliable recall, then it shouldn't be off lead in a public place. I have a very nervous, reactive dog, he's never off lead and I'd be furious if any off lead dog ran up to him. Such a shame for your dog to have been injured, but 100% your husband's fault and responsibility. Let's hope he learns from it and doesn't let him down again

BarbieBrightSide Sat 21-Nov-15 15:14:54

Thanks for your comments, I accept that we are in the wrong. FWIW he does have a reliable recall and is trained to a whistle as well. The walks he has with me are different to the walks he has with DH.

I feel so sad for my little chap as he is a really soft little dog and I hope he hasn't been too traumatised by this.

I have to say I hadn't really thought about the other owner potentially being cross about our dog running up to his either. Food for thought.

Alyselisabeth Sat 21-Nov-15 15:36:47

The dog was on a lead...on a lead for a reason. I have a very sociable lab who is bouncy and wiggly and wouldn't hurt a fly and once went up to a dog on a lead who went for him. It was 100% my fault (luckily he wasn't hurt). However he did the same to a dog that was off lead that went for him and I hit the roof! And they ended up paying for his stitches across his nose.

Sorry but I don't think you have a leg to stand on re. Muzzling. X

Madbengalmum Sat 21-Nov-15 15:42:24

ALL dogs in public places should be on a lead, why should anyone, dog owner, runner, parent with small kids have to deal with a dog running up to them off lead!,
This really annoys Me, not everyone wants an out of control dog around them or their dog, who may be anxious and become dog agressive,now hopefully the dog will be kept on a lead.
It is not good this happened to your dog, but really you dont know what has happened to the dog on lead, or people who are afraid of dogs.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 21-Nov-15 15:59:02

Did your husband not try to recall him, if he has a reliable recall? If he didn't, I would have been even more annoyed. As pp have said, an off lead dog should NEVER be allowed to approach a dog on a lead, the most reliable dog can feel cornered and unable to escape, and therefore, attack.

Unfortunately dogs who have been attacked can develop fear aggression as a consequence - it happened to one of my dogs, it's years ago now, we lost her over 10 years ago, but she was never the same again

JumpandScore Sat 21-Nov-15 16:09:28

I agree with Madbengalmum. If your dog is going to run up to strangers, dog or no dog, it shouldn't be off the lead. Are you one of those owners who glares at me when I trip over the dog that ran between my legs or goes "aw he just wants to say hello" when the dog slobbers over my coat?

Madbengalmum Sat 21-Nov-15 16:14:33

Exactly, my dog is a large dog, the breed has a reputation, however she couldnt be lovelier, but she is kept on a lead because we were both attacked by a labrador, off lead, she has not been the same since. It is just not fair to make assumptions about anyone or their dog. Even with a good recall, nobody can have 100% confidence in exactly what the dog will do/react.

IrisVillarca Sat 21-Nov-15 16:19:40

I hope your dog is ok, OP.
My dog is fear aggressive on the lead but I would not muzzle her because of this as she is not out of control and she should have the right to give off signals /defend herself if she is approached by a dog off lead.

HenDogismylife Sat 21-Nov-15 16:57:20

Very sorry to hear about your dog.
I have a fear responsive dog so keep him on lead at all times. Unfortunately due to numerous occasions of other dogs being allowed to run at him off lead I have had to take the step of muzzling him when we are out. Nothing makes me angrier than when dogs that are off lead are not kept away from us. He would never intentionally hurt a fly but when his space is invaded in such a way he reacts. Don't get me started on the people who allow it to happen and then shout ' don't worry he's friendly!'.
As it is I hate walking him muzzled as I think it is impeding the training I do with him to help overcome his fears it there are too many selfish dog owners out there ( sorry OP not tarring you with the same brush)

Scuttlebutter Sat 21-Nov-15 19:02:07

Another one to reiterate the point that your DH shouldn't have allowed your off lead dog to run up to an on lead dog. I'm really sorry it's your dog that has paid the price for your DH's actions. If your dog's recall isn't as reliable with him as with you, then dog stays on the lead - it really is that simple.

We make sure our reactive old boy is always muzzled when we are out precisely because of people like your DH - we are fed up with being the bad guys yet we are doing everything possible - lead, muzzle and yellow bandana (and we choose quiet, less popular walking spots). And please also bear in mind (or ask your DH to) that when you have a reactive dog, an incident like that, no matter how well meaning can undo weeks of patient training.

tabulahrasa Sat 21-Nov-15 22:07:47

I muzzle my dog, partly because it's not another dog's fault if their owner lets it run up to mine, it's the owners, but it'll not be the owner that suffers for it.

And partly because it gives a very clear visual sign that there's a reason my dog isn't offlead.

Panicmode1 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:13:17

My dog was attacked today. I was walking her off lead in a place where lots of people exercise their dogs, and I saw a man with a dog on a lead, so I recalled her, she came back, and we went the other way. Five minutes later, this same dog (which had previously been on a lead) rushed up to mine and attacked her for no reason, trying to bite her, snarling and barking and then attacking her again. I was trying desperately to separate them, but my dog was whimpering and being bitten so I kicked the other dog away, but it kept coming back. It took an age for the owner to come along and grab his dog and he just kept saying "oh he's usually all mouth and no trousers" with no apology. I just grabbed my dog and walked off saying his should be on lead and trying to get my dog and my children away without further incident.....luckily I can't find any punctured skin (mine is a retriever and his was a ?border terrier I think) but she's very clingy tonight and won't leave my side.

I wish I'd paid more attention to what type of dog it was or got the man's name but I was so shocked I just wanted to get away, so I can't report it because my description would be completely vague, but I hope no-one else's dog gets seriously hurt (or a person!).

My dog does have good recall but I admit it's not 100% - I always call her back if there is a dog on a lead and she almost always obeys. Had the dog attacked her when it was on a lead because she'd bounded up to it, I would have taken 100% responsibility, but in this case it was totally the other owners fault, and I would have made him pay my vets bills if I'd found any blood/damage to my dog.

ChairRider4 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:22:04

Other thing to consider a dog on lead may have an injury so bouncy dog coming up could make worse

Also sometimes dog on lead as is working amount of people that let there dogs run up to mine despite a very obvious working coat on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now