Dog for an older person?

(14 Posts)
HandsomeGroomGiveHerRoom Mon 16-Nov-15 23:14:38

A friend of mine would really love to get a dog for their mum. Mum isn't in the best of health, but she's really pining for the dogs she's had in the past and we think it would giver her a boost.

Dog would be walked at least once a day by my friend, and would never be left alone (mum rarely leaves the house). It would need to be small and light though, as she's a little frail.

Can anyone suggest a good breed? I'd always go for a rescue, but the rescues here are full of staffies and I think a staffy would be far too big and strong.

Scuttlebutter Mon 16-Nov-15 23:20:36

You could try a breed specific rescue or the obvious choice would be Oldies Club which does exactly what it says and has lots of gorgeous elderly dogs looking for a nice quiet home.

RoseDog Mon 16-Nov-15 23:20:48

I was going to suggest an oldie rescue staffy, all they want is a sofa, food and a wee walk weather permitting

ThatsNiceDear Mon 16-Nov-15 23:28:40

Go to www.oldies.org.uk/ to find a nice, calm, older dog for her.

HandsomeGroomGiveHerRoom Mon 16-Nov-15 23:37:07

oldies looks brilliant - thank you!

countrybump Mon 16-Nov-15 23:39:21

A rescue greyhound could be a good match. They really don't need much exercise at all and are great companions - they're great pets for older people. Visit GRWE's website for more info (www.grwe.com). They have a matching service that ensures you get the right dog.

HandsomeGroomGiveHerRoom Tue 17-Nov-15 00:51:00

Thank you, country smile

CheerfulYank Tue 17-Nov-15 01:04:11

We had a lovely rescue beagle for a little while. He was three, completely house trained, calm, walked like a dream...but he couldn't adjust to life with our busy DC and we had to rehome him after a week sad He is with a retired couple now and he is so happy. smile He is a wonderful dog for them as well. Nice and little.

Asteria36 Tue 17-Nov-15 01:09:17

I was going to say retired/rescue greyhound but country beat me to it! Totally lovely dogs and incredibly calm. They need far less exercise than the likes of a toy dog and have a much better nature IMO. My mother has a Yorkshire x Chihuahua and it is a little shit. It craps everywhere and bullies all the other dogs. My grandmother had a westie that became so dominant that it would jump into her seat and attack her when she tried to remove it!! I prefer bigger dogs.
One exception might be a corgie or a miniature dachshund if she is really desperate for a lap-dog.

CMOTDibbler Tue 17-Nov-15 08:49:24

I know a very elderly lady who has an equally elderly and frail greyhound, and they totter around together - its lovely to see the companionship.

Albert is a lovely elderly lurcher who wants nothing more than a sofa to lie on, and a potter round in the garden, so might be ideal

mollie123 Tue 17-Nov-15 12:00:55

agree about lurchers/greyhounds but just a note of caution re size
I have a lurcher who is more than I can shift if he became/becomes immobile because he weighs about 30 kg hmm
for us older small-sized women - this can be a problem if some form of lifting is required
That said - an older whippety sized grey would be ideal as it is the best of both worlds.

Floralnomad Tue 17-Nov-15 13:12:30

The cinnamon trust often have dogs looking for long term foster homes so they may have something suitable and often they are dogs that have been used to elderly owners .

vjg13 Sat 21-Nov-15 07:49:23

Another vote for a Cinnamon trust long term foster. I have had 2 (lost our older boy recently) and it is a great organisation. They will also pay the vet bills for illness/ accidents.

HandsomeGroomGiveHerRoom Sat 21-Nov-15 10:37:07

This is all fabulous advice. Thank you everyone flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now