Talk

Advanced search

ways to keep my Shih Tzu clean and dry

(7 Posts)
Dieu Fri 13-Nov-15 19:05:03

Hi all smile Now that winter is here, walks with Teddy the Shih Tzu pup has become rather a wet and muddy affair. His fur is like that of a fluffy bear (hence the name!) and despite having it cut shorter, it still soaks everything up. I wondered if there's some kind of coat you can buy, for the purpose of keeping clean and dry on walks ... not so much for keeping warm, as his incredibly thick fur does that. It's mostly his legs and feet that get the worst of it anyway, so not sure how feasible the idea is ... short of putting him in welly boots ;) Thanks.

CMOTDibbler Fri 13-Nov-15 19:28:39

My SIL has a dog onesie like this for her spaniel to wear when she won't have time to demud him after

Dieu Fri 13-Nov-15 19:33:57

God, I would love to from a practical point of view, but not sure if I'd we'd be too embarrassed! Great idea though, and I will absolutely consider it. Many thanks.

insan1tyscartching Sat 14-Nov-15 06:35:22

We have Eric clipped short but he is a muck magnet so constantly dirty. Thankfully he's small so he gets dunked regularly in the tub. He has various coats that he refuses to leave the house in but seems to like sweaters so I end up washing them daily as well. I think we've just adapted to him so if he's filthy I pick him up at the door, hold him one handed whilst I run the water and grab his towel, dunk him, dry him take off my filthy walking coat and and sponge that down.

Floralnomad Sat 14-Nov-15 09:39:56

I would get him an Equafleece jumper as that will protect a lot of him and they wash and dry really well and then get a dog dry bag ,we have the original doggy bag from the Microfibre store and dog gets put in there when he comes home and comes out dry and practically clean - it seems to wick away the dirt especially if you give him a quick rub with the bag whilst he's in it .

ScrappyMalloy Sat 14-Nov-15 10:04:05

This is our first winter with our lovely shih tzu, and also finding she is a muck magnet. We have always had terrier before so this has come as a shock grin

She and her little terrier sister come in from walkies, and one is clean and one is filthy and wet confused

We are combating it with towels, lots of towels. But even after a drink from her bowl, she has soggy fur up to her ears, bless her. shih tzu fur must be the most absorbent stuff in the universe.

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Sat 14-Nov-15 14:34:30

I found that the onsie type mac for my ShihTzu cross only kept him slightly cleaner. He was still wet from where the rain would go up underneath and this also made him cold.
This year I have bought him a good quality coat, just to keep him warm and I have clipped him really short so he is much easier to wash off and dry.
He hasn't used his new coat yet as it's been quite mild, but he doesn't mind wearing them as he's tried so many different ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now