Talk

Advanced search

crap. dd has just given puppy a raisin

(11 Posts)
SmileAndNod Thu 12-Nov-15 09:58:49

What should I do? Will be ok? They are not good for dogs are they?

DreamingOfThruxtons Thu 12-Nov-15 10:15:34

One raisin? I think it will be okay...

SmileAndNod Thu 12-Nov-15 10:19:01

Yes, just one. He's asleep (again) now so I'm figuring he's ok.

I know I'm an over protective new motherblush

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 12-Nov-15 10:21:35

One raisin will not have any adverse affect. Our late DDog ate an entire Christmas cake that I left cooling on the side and was fine even though I killed the bugger.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 12-Nov-15 10:24:13

Effect even, sleep deprivation and a recurring UTI have addled my already addled brain.

chelle792 Thu 12-Nov-15 10:26:04

My brothers dog ate a raisin. They rang the vet. The vet said that raisins can cause kidney failure. She said some dogs will get really sick on one raisin and others will be fine after a handful.

I'd ring the vet to be sure.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 12-Nov-15 10:29:06

There is no way to predict sensitivity to raisins/grapes some dogs one or two cause acute kidney failure other dogs can eat loads and not be affected.
As a practice we vomit every raisin/grape ingestion and put them on intravenous fluids.

YourBubzYourRulzHun Thu 12-Nov-15 12:54:20

My dog ate a box of them a while ago. Rang vet and vet said just keep an eye on him and see if he's sick but don't make him sick. He was fine.

Outcomesthebunnyofdeath Thu 12-Nov-15 13:05:24

What lonecat said. No precautions taken with raisins in our practice. Up to owners whether they take the advice or run the risk.

Just because one dog ate a christmas cake and was fine, doesn't mean the next dog will be.

SmileAndNod Thu 12-Nov-15 15:49:28

I spent about 20 minutes on the phone to the vet. If he had eaten a lot, they would do the vomiting / fluids thing. She calculated that the risk was quite small but to monitor him as you never know how they will react.

I'm taking him soon any way for a check as he sleeps a lot and isn't eating so well and it's worrying me a bit (over anxious anyway)

ender Thu 12-Nov-15 19:07:04

My lab stole an unopened (large) pack of raisins when he was a pup. Ran off with it and ate the lot.
I phoned the vet and was told if I could get him there within an hour of eating the raisins they'd make him vomit and he'd be fine. If I couldn't get him there quickly enough he'd need to go on a drip (as well as vomiting) and stay in for observation.
We managed to get there just in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now