Talk

Advanced search

My spaniel has become a clingon

(8 Posts)
hazelisours Wed 11-Nov-15 17:41:34

My springer is 4 years old and my dd is 1. We've also just recently moved house. I appreciate he's had a lot of changes recently but he's gone from being mildly clingy to always under our feet and looking for attention. Whimpering etc and lying in our way.

I'm trying not to tell him off but my dh isn't always as understanding and he gets shouted at. I ask dh not to as it will make him worse.

He's become very food obsessed and craving of affection. He's very well exercised and is utterly brilliant and calm with dd.

Please help me help him be a happier dog!!

strawberrypenguin Wed 11-Nov-15 17:46:42

I admit I don't know a lot about dogs - never owned one bit would something like an agility class help? So he's your sole focus for a bit and he can use his brain and exercise at the same time

Teapot101 Wed 11-Nov-15 18:06:32

Is he crate trained? maybe try using ones and build up the time gradually. A kong or long lasting chew (I use things like cows hooves/ beef scalp bits/ puzzle etc from zooplus) Chewing is a great stress buster. I would physically get him from under your feet so that you don't get frustrated with him. (Love spaniels)

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 12-Nov-15 17:33:06

Has he been to the vet to rule out a physical cause?

hazelisours Thu 12-Nov-15 21:36:29

Thanks for your responses smile He is crate trained (or at least he was as a pup). My feeling is that he is unsettled from the house move and from us becoming parents. After all, he was my first baby. He's feeling left out but it's tricky to give him as much attention with a young toddler around. Any experience and advice gratefully received x

hazelisours Thu 12-Nov-15 21:37:51

Ps will give the kong etc a go.... Just hope I don't find it in my daughters mouth!! confused

Wolfiefan Thu 12-Nov-15 21:40:11

Is it adaptil that's like the dog version of feliway? A plug in.

Oxfordblue Thu 12-Nov-15 21:49:15

I wonder he's trying to tell you something.

Take him to the vet to make sure & if nothing physically wrong, maybe buy an adaptil collar rather than the plug in.

I'm not sure crating will do anything other than create more stress.

Just as an after thought, is it fireworks or could it maybe your toddler is being rough & has mistakenly hurt him ? I take my dog on the school run & you'd be surprised how many kids don't understand the concept of 'gently'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now