Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Carcas

(8 Posts)
Kaffiene Tue 10-Nov-15 21:53:09

Please don't flame me I know we have been stupid. Forgot to empty the bin last night & at some point today our 10 year old JRT has emptied the bin & eaten a whole chicken carcass :-(
He is woddling around looking sorry for himself. But that could be because he knows he has been bad or the after effects of the fireworks.
So what do I do tomorrow I am supposed to be out of the house from 8-1.30 ish. Usually I walk him about 6.30 then MIL takes him out about 9.30. So he would be at home from about 10-1.30 unsupervised. He has access to the garden via the cat flap. Or do you think I need to call the vet first thing, cancel work and take him to be checked over.
Dogs! Worse then children especially as I had today off to take DD to the hospital

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 10-Nov-15 22:14:54

Speak to the vet. Cooked chicken bones can turn into sharp splinters. How does he seem to you?

Kaffiene Tue 10-Nov-15 22:24:02

He seems a bit sorry for himself but like I say he knows not to bin rake & is still recovering from the fireworks so it's hard to tell. He is moving around fine & doing rancid farts.
He generally has a pretty iron stomach but a whole cooked chicken is another matter. If I wasnt working I would just keep a close eye on him but not sure about leaving him. I think 24-48 hours after the event are the riskiest times.

TrionicLettuce Tue 10-Nov-15 22:29:32

That's a lot of cooked bones for a small dog. I'd be ringing the vet now at the very least.

Kaffiene Tue 10-Nov-15 22:52:36

Just spoke to the Vet. They said just to watch him & call back if anything changes and that it's probably helped that he has been sedated for the fireworks. Restful night for me then. Not!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 10-Nov-15 23:45:35

Oh dear. Little buggers aren't they? Hope he's ok.

GinAndKittens Wed 11-Nov-15 15:44:00

I would say don't worry, I think he would have been sick in someway by now. In a weeks time you will have forgotten all about it and the dog will be laying half a dozen a day smile

mollie123 Wed 11-Nov-15 15:48:58

good advice :
If your dog accidentally eats a chicken bone, watch him closely for any signs of distress.

Does the dog hack as though he has something caught in his throat?
Does his abdomen look bloated?
Is your pet lethargic?
Is he straining to pass a stool?
Do you see any rectal bleeding or blood in his stools?

Call your vet right away if your dog displays any of these signs. Your pet may need an x-ray to determine if one or more pieces of bone are causing a serious problem.
if he seems fine and none of the above occur - he is probably fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now