Talk

Advanced search

Puppy ate chocolate...

(9 Posts)
JessieEssex Fri 06-Nov-15 16:41:18

I've just realised that my 5mo puppy must have have eaten some chocolate this morning. I've just found the wrappers from a packet of chocolate topped tiffin bites. I've worked out that she must haven eaten about 10g max of milk chocolate. She weighs about 5kg. I found a calculator online and it says very mild possibility of symptoms. She must have eaten them about 7 hours ago and she has had a very loose poo (before I realised)
What would you do? Worth ringing the vet?

pigsDOfly Fri 06-Nov-15 17:03:43

Similar thing happen to my DD's when she was about that age and probably a similar weight, if not lighter: saw she was eating something she'd picked up in the park and realised someone had dropped bits of a milk chocolate Easter egg on the grass.

I rang the vet immediately and they told me to keep an eye on her. Nothing came of it and she was fine.

If it was 7 hours ago I would imagine nothing is going to happen now. But in your shoes, if I were worrying, I'd ring the vet even if it's just so I don't have to sit worrying and watching the dog all evening.

pigsDOfly Fri 06-Nov-15 17:36:06

That should read DD's dog

OliviaDunham Fri 06-Nov-15 17:38:37

That's a tiny amount, it's dark strong chocolate you need to worry about really. Being as it was 7 hours ago I really wouldn't worry.

JessieEssex Fri 06-Nov-15 20:35:35

Thanks both, she seems fine this evening, eating normally and being a loony smile I'll check on her in the night for my own sanity but she'll be ok.

NigelLikesSalad Fri 06-Nov-15 22:10:22

we were told that dark chocolate (which our dog ate) is the really dangerous one and even then it's on a scale depending on strength and size of dog. Keep an eye on her though, any sickness or squits / lethargy / odd behaviour and take straight to vets.
Ours did chocolate poops for a day or so after only two small squares of dark chocolate but he didn't need any treatment, it was still a small amount.

JessieEssex Sat 07-Nov-15 08:22:12

All fine this morning, normal poo, happy on her walk (apart from obsessing over a disgusting dead rabbit but I don't think I can blame that on the chocolate!)

pigsDOfly Sat 07-Nov-15 12:29:48

Glad to hear everything's okay.

Dead rabbit is probably better than chocolate, although that does rather depend on how long it's been dead and how mouldy it is. smile

VeganCow Sat 07-Nov-15 21:36:03

My JRT needed stomach pump after 200g of dark ecuadorian colcolate , so I think your 10g of milk choc was fine haha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now