Talk

Advanced search

Ddog has started really smelling...cures?

(14 Posts)
Madblondedog Thu 05-Nov-15 12:33:24

Ddog has always hated baths so we tend to avoid them and used dog dry shampoo (he also stinks of wet dog after a bath so its not always an improvement on the original smell!).

He's not one for rolling in stuff really but he's suddenly started smelling REALLY doggy. Dry shampoo doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore, I'm reluctant to hose him as its too cold out there and we don't have a bath at the moment.

Could something be causing this or is it just him getting older? He's nearly 3 now

Shriek Thu 05-Nov-15 12:47:57

firstly, what sort of ddog? and i would avoid 'hot' baths. Unless he had some sort of skin condition, yeast/bacteria infection, or rolls in stinks, or has the kind of coat that requires it the ddog shouldn't be so smelly that you have to bathe it regularly.

There are a lot of smaller breeds with white coats that seem to get that orangey mouth/beard/paws and someone might be able to tell you what thas about on her?

Healthy ddogs shouldn't need regular bathing or teeth-brushing!

when you sink your nose into a cats fur it shouldn't really smell of anything atall, but with a ddog they do just smell of dog, but if there's anything else causing the smell it should be checked into.

The other thing that will keep down the ddoggie smell would be regular doggie blanket washing (in something gentle to not aggravate their skin and set up allergies). Adding a tolerated fragrance (like lavender oil into the wash will help counteract ddoggie smells too.

Shriek Thu 05-Nov-15 12:48:48

poos and diet definitely a consideration too - is he farty or anything?

wheelsonabus Thu 05-Nov-15 12:51:01

Is it anal glands? That's a sort of strong almost cat-like type of smell. Could be also he's just reached adulthood so he's got a testorone-y scent.

Madblondedog Thu 05-Nov-15 13:03:43

He'a a golden labrador (a bloody gorgeous one at that)

He's not farty, no poo problems, I have washed all his bedding so hopefully that helps.

I'm not sure if its just where its winter so he's obviously out in the rain more than for the last few months.

Its not a horrific smell, its just stronger than normal. It is the standard dog smell but he's never really smelt like dog before, he just smelt of nothingness.

ender Thu 05-Nov-15 16:04:01

It could be a build up of loose undercoat that needs to be brushed out. It can get pongy because of the oils in the fur.
I use a zoom groom on my lab, brushing in all directions. It really loosens the fur and I end up with a carrier bag full. It takes about half an hour to get it all out. Dog really enjoys it.
I tried a furminator which dog hated and it didn't work as well as the zoom groom.

Madblondedog Thu 05-Nov-15 16:28:17

Ah I will give him a good brush and then see how he goes, he is due a brush as he sheds like crazy

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Thu 05-Nov-15 16:35:13

I have huge lab that used to smell a bit but since I changed his food to Arden grange (not because of smell but I heard it can make his poo smaller and more solid) and started giving him coconut oil, he doesn't. The dog boarder recently commented on how he doesn't smell like a dog so either one of those must be working.

pigsDOfly Thu 05-Nov-15 19:32:44

My dog hasn't had a bath for several years as she gets incredibly stressed by being covered in water but she is brushed regularly, which seems to do the trick. She's long haired not generally a big shedder but when I brush her I get out quite a lot of fur, which I suspect would cause her to smell if it was allowed to stay in her coat.

Obviously at this time of year I rinse any mud off her paws, legs and stomach, which she just about tolerates.

When you bury you nose in her fur she smells lovely, just a lovely clean dog smell. Sometimes she has bit of a furniture polish smell about her, which is odd really as I never use the stuff.

daisydotandgertie Thu 05-Nov-15 21:14:05

I would keep a very, very careful eye on him.

If my labs start to smell it has always indicated illness or infection of some sort. Has his behaviour changed in any way? The amount he drinks? Any toys destroyed or missing?

Madblondedog Thu 05-Nov-15 22:54:11

He's just his normal happy self, thinking about it I've probably been less on top of brushing him as usual as we've moved house so things like that have been forgotten about.

TeamSteady Fri 06-Nov-15 21:46:22

I don't mean to be personal op but you're not pregnant are you?

When I was pg with DS2 ddog1 made me heave. I suddenly couldn't stand the smell of him- it was really doggy and strong,of course he hadn't changed just my sense of smell.

I'm 8 weeks now with dc3 and its the same again. Ddog1 is sadly no longer with us, but ddog2 and particularly ddog3 stink (to me!!)

All are labradors.

Shriek Sat 07-Nov-15 00:53:10

is your dog golden retriever (very long swishy coat) or yellow lab (coarse short top coat and thick soft undercoat).

As ddog gets older I think their ddoggieish smell does get a bit stronger, but if its just that then using sensitive but safely frangranced bedding washwill help lots and should transfer onto his coat too.

labs shouldn't need washing, but they do get greasy and that can be overly greasy due to type of food fed. not heard of coconut, thats interesting, is for the oil type, as in something special in coconut oil? good for skin or something?

Madblondedog Sat 07-Nov-15 19:42:36

Oooh I hope I am pregnant. Would be an accident but a happy one. I don't think so though sadly

He's been better since I've brushed him and washed everything but still smells doggy

He's a yellow lab

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now