Talk

Advanced search

Best toys for very chewy Labrador?

(21 Posts)
CheerfulYank Wed 04-Nov-15 19:02:08

I've got a six month old Lab pup. smile He's gorgeous and I adore him but he chews everything. (This was not unexpected, of course.)

We've had some luck with bones etc but he seems to ignore most toys in favor of shredding any paper he can find and gnawing the walls or skirting boards.

Any toy suggestions?

TrionicLettuce Wed 04-Nov-15 19:04:21

Anco Roots are really good for chewers especially if, like DWhippet3, they have a penchant for nibbling the woodwork.

LimeJellyHead Wed 04-Nov-15 20:06:46

A great dog ball is this one www.dfordog.co.uk/chuckit-ultra-dog-ball.html smile I swear by them. My terrier could destroy any ball in seconds but not this one.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 04-Nov-15 20:37:28

My lab likes deer antlers. You can buy them from most pet shops.

When does he do this chewing? Presumably not in front of you? We found that our boy would chew if we didn't shut him in his crate when we went out. He didn't like being out in the house on his own and would take his anxiety out on the house.

chelle792 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:39:16

The only balls my boy cant seem to destroy are kong balls or chuck it balls. Black kongs are good - stuff them with peanut butter, yummy gross

CheerfulYank Wed 04-Nov-15 20:45:42

Thanks all smile

Those anco roots look great but I'm not in the UK so the shipping is a little intense.

Adora he will occasionally try to chew in front of us but then we stop him of course.
He will lie down in the corner and I won't realize it but he'll have gnawed the corner off the skirting board or something.

He does have a Kong, a red one! He will chew it when it's stuffed but leaves it otherwise.

cranberryx Wed 04-Nov-15 20:57:12

I love Nylabones for chewy dogs, they last ages!

ownerofagingerfurball Wed 04-Nov-15 21:04:08

Another vote for the chuckit ultra ball limejellyhead linked to. Mine have never been able to break them and they love chewing them. I roll the ball in a bit of cream cheese sometimes too.

HoneyDragon Wed 04-Nov-15 21:22:06

Things good for chewy Labradors are table legs, sofas, important paperwork, tissues and anything small crunchy plastic and precious to a young child.

Things that are good for a human to give a young, chewy Labrador are Antlers, old socks knotted up a round the occasional biscuit (keeps them busy for hours), strips of fleece knotted into the ultimate tug toy, raw bones, frozen carrots and of course Kong toys (they are not chew proof, but they last longer).

CheerfulYank Wed 04-Nov-15 22:27:47

He likes walls best, Honey. grin

I didn't think of antlers! DH is going deer hunting this weekend.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 04-Nov-15 22:50:52

I didn't actually notice your name Cheerful. We spoke a lot on the TWD thread. grin

You can buy antlers for dogs just about anywhere here. They usually come in a nice big sawn off lump. They're really tough but it's nice that they're natural and not plastic.

CakeMountain Thu 05-Nov-15 01:28:27

I don't think you can top a nice skirting board, but pigs' trotters go down well here. They completely honk, so she loves them.

KinkyAfro Thu 05-Nov-15 11:54:05

Just don't give him cooked bones, raw only and try and get the big knuckle end ones

Shriek Thu 05-Nov-15 12:23:26

seconding, or thirding, the antlers! they are far better than bones as they will not chipi, cannot cause cartilage obstructions (on joint ends), don't cause the rich marrow bone upset tums, and are very slow chewing, so safe and kind. I should be selling them i think! grin

Also seconding the kong toys/boys/chews as they are solid rubber and are the only thing that mine can't seem to destroy, although the rollabout ones (that you put treats in) have been eaten along with the treats, but rubber comes straight out as it goes it grin

Also, try painting tea tree oil along your skirtings and down the favoured edges (like the one in the pic) they absolutely detest the taste.

Keep him entertained and alone only in very small doses after exercise/attention, when at six months he should be sleeping for hours still. if he's not used to settling when you are there he needs to. dpups just keep going otherwise and they need to learn downtime.

Shriek Thu 05-Nov-15 12:24:37

he absolutely gorgeous and lovely to see pics on here of MNers ddogs!

just adore dpups, i don't know how i can miss them so much when they are such hard work, but i do!

CheerfulYank Thu 05-Nov-15 13:23:04

I love pictures too Shriek smile Here's one of him on our recent trip to our cabin...he was in heaven.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll grab some antlers asap and the chuck it balls look great too.

babyblackbird Thu 05-Nov-15 14:23:48

Can I just ask about antlers ? I have avoided these as I thought they were prone to causing tooth damage or dogs cracking/ snapping their teeth on them. Is that wrong or highly unlucky ? All others chews I have bought last my dog about 1 minute and I have avoided rawhide on advice too. Even a Kong he can get stuff out within 10 minutes.

WeAllHaveWings Thu 05-Nov-15 14:41:55

Our dog loved skirting boards, carpets and sofa's best...........sorry not helpful.

We found whenever he was alone he ignored any toys/kongs/antlers and went for the furniture or building instead.

We tried antlers (stag bars) but we found as he chewed them they ended up with very sharp parts and cut the inside of his mouth a couple of times, causing blood stains on the carpet instead.

Its a tough time, he did grow out of it at around 15 months.

Purplepixiedust Thu 05-Nov-15 14:58:30

These are the only one our dog hasn't destroyed in minutes!

www.amazon.co.uk/Jumbler-Football-Large-Large-Assorted-colours/dp/B00LB2YOLW/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1446735489&sr=1-10&keywords=kong+ball

www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-T2-Classic-Toy-Medium/dp/B000AYN7LU

LimeJellyHead Thu 05-Nov-15 16:21:08

My dogs had those antlers and one wasn't interested at all and the other nearly broke a tooth so they went in the bin.

cressetmama Thu 05-Nov-15 20:40:22

My Labs love antlers and have had no problems with breaking teeth. Otherwise, they love shoes, preferably new Choos!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: