Talk

Advanced search

Help please, our dog is using our neighbours garden as a toilet. Is it too late to retrain where to go the toilet?

(11 Posts)
Sage44 Mon 02-Nov-15 15:47:37

We have a lovely 16 month old labrador who has got used to going on to our neighbours lawn ( no fence between our gardens) every day to do his business.
They are getting understandably annoyed.
Is there any way we can retrain him to go elsewhere?
Many thanks for advice

RandomMess Mon 02-Nov-15 15:48:38

I would put him on a lead for a start so he can't wander that far over!

CaptainKit Mon 02-Nov-15 15:53:35

The obvious solution would be to put some sort of barrier between the two gardens. If you can't put a fence up/don't want to put one up, can you put something 2 or 3 foot tall across the gap?

Alternatively, take him out on lead and wait until he does his business where you want him to, then praise a lot; give food reward, anything to positively reinforce going in the 'right' spot. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Dieu Mon 02-Nov-15 16:43:35

try a training lead/line so that he has the feeling of freedom, but in actual fact can't go that far?

DoctorFunkenstein Mon 02-Nov-15 16:48:25

This might be a daft question but why isn't there a fence?

sparechange Mon 02-Nov-15 16:50:49

Teach him a toilet command. Be quick, or go pee are mine, but anything will do.
Have him on a long lead in the garden and when he goes, repeat the command word a few times and reward. Repeat every time he goes...
You should be able to train him to that within a week or so, and he should pee on command.
Then you just walk him over to the designated spot in your garden and use the command. If he walks away from the spot, he gets a low cross 'NNNooo'
When he walks back to the right spot, command word and rewards.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 02-Nov-15 17:54:14

keep on lead or build a fence/barrier

you dog shouldn't be on their side of the garden full stop.

DoctorFunkenstein Mon 02-Nov-15 18:56:50

We had this scenario when we moved in - the old fence was broken - next door just used to let their dog out to roam and it always shat right on the lawn in our garden.

With a toddler to consider, their children being much older, it was really difficult to understand why they didn't just stop it coming out by itself, you know, by shutting the door or something?

We hadn't moved in fully but we got a fence put up as a priority and it stopped, obviously, and has not been a problem since...

It nearly ruined what is now a great neighbourly relationship - they are lovely people but at the time, OMG I could not understand it - and they never apologised, and never came to clear it up. Their own garden was full of shit already so I guess the poor dog was enjoying the clean grass.

So really I would try and sort out the boundary issue IIWY.

Arfarfanarf Mon 02-Nov-15 18:59:07

Put a fence up or supervise him in the garden or put him on a lead or train him to go on command.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 02-Nov-15 19:00:38

make a toilet area for the dog or supervise him properly.

how on earth have you allowed this to happen more than once?? You should be grateful the neighbour is not crapping on your doorstep by now

Outrageous behaviour

Sage44 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:27:41

Thank you,
Just to clarify, we live on farm land, and they are neighbouring farmers so just a field between us.
Will aim to have him trained to go in our garden in asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now