Talk

Advanced search

2 children under the age of 8 - would anyone give us a rescue dog?

(18 Posts)
Missanneshirley Sun 01-Nov-15 20:46:13

We are tentatively researching a new dog after having our old lab pts recently. Dh keen to get a new lab pub but I don't know if I can face a pup again and I feel getting a rescue would be better in many ways - but when I look online most places specify over 8 or sometimes even over 12 or 16! Is this the norm ?

Wolfiefan Sun 01-Nov-15 20:47:11

That depends. How old is your youngest?

overthemill Sun 01-Nov-15 20:49:48

It depends on the dog and the Rescue policy. Those that say minimum ages have probably been stung by families bringing back dogs. Look far and wide for a good rescue. Spend time. Think about a breed rescue perhaps not just (eg) blue cross ( though they are great IME). I used to foster/home check for a breed rescue and it really depended on dog and family whether we felt a matched 'worked'

Missanneshirley Sun 01-Nov-15 20:59:17

Kids and 4 and 7 and have always had a dog, albeit a tired old lab! Yes I suppose I was looking at the bigger "brands" of rescue places; should try more local / smaller ones maybe?

potap123 Sun 01-Nov-15 21:02:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrionicLettuce Sun 01-Nov-15 21:02:36

There's a big list of lab spefici rescues here on the KC site.

It's definitely worth contacting smaller, independent rescue groups as they can tend to be much more flexible with their homing criteria than the larger organisations.

overthemill Sun 01-Nov-15 21:07:43

I think there's a massive waiting list for 'failed' service dogs! But do contact the main providers. And yes, look at smaller places but check their policies. Some are lovely but aren't rigorous enough (IME) which is why sometimes placements fail. I would expect home check before you are even viewing a specific dog. How much time do you have? Just wondering if to start with you could volunteer at a smaller one to dog walk to get a feel for what might suit your family

JuneFromBethesda Sun 01-Nov-15 21:32:33

We adopted a 5-year-old Labrador from a Labrador rescue charity a week ago; our children are the same ages as yours. I applied to, and was approved by, two different lab rescue organisations and did a lot of research beforehand; I never came across a blanket refusal to rehome to families with kids under 8.

Most (all?) rescue orgs do note whether or not specific dogs can be rehomed with families where there are children aged under 8; they'll only rehome a dog to such a family if they know for certain that the dog has already lived happily with small children (ours had, so she endures our 4-year-old attempting to cuddle her to death with nothing more than a resigned expression).

Keep looking and you'll find one. Good luck!

Wolfiefan Sun 01-Nov-15 21:36:17

Perhaps look at a rescue that fosters dogs out so they have a better idea of temperament.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 02-Nov-15 14:39:55

We are registering with Black Retriever X rescue - they will rehome to families like yours.

Best of luck!

BagelSuffragette Mon 02-Nov-15 15:33:32

Smaller rescues are definitely more flexible. They often have dogs in foster families so you can see if they're used to being with children. Your children are also "dog-savvy" so that's s plus point.

Hope Rescue, Four Paws Rescue
Black Retriever X, Silver Fox Dog Rescue, Balkan Underdogs are all worth a look

BagelSuffragette Mon 02-Nov-15 15:35:52

Meant to add that it's a good idea to join any FB groups that rescues have. Usually more up to date than websites and more popular dogs often don't even get on website as they're rehomed more quickly.

Bubble2bubble Mon 02-Nov-15 17:49:59

Agree that smaller rescues will often look at each dog and potential family individually. I would suggest approaching them and being upfront about your situation and dog experience.
For example a dog which may be fine with children, but has dodgy recall or needs huge long walks is not going to suit a household with a couple of toddlers.
I suspect some of the lab rescues have had dogs returned for being too bouncy with kids, hence the higher age limit, and again everyone is different - some kids who have grown up being knocked over by bouncy dogs and are fine with it, for some it will be a horrible shock.

diplodocus Mon 02-Nov-15 17:54:31

Don't know where you are but Pups needing Homes in Sussex let us adopt a dog with a 6 year old. They're mostly from Ireland.

Minx82 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:28:05

What area are you. We got a lovely dog from last chance in Edenbridge Kent. Our daughter was just turning 5.
www.lastchanceanimalrescue.co.uk/kennel/dog.php

Iusedtobecarmen Thu 05-Nov-15 09:23:49

Ive been in this position recently. Have 3dcs and two under 8.
As someone else has said, most rescue places dont ban as such but give rwcommendations. Like not suitable for children under 10. Or older teenagers only.
Although we saw some dogs that seemed suitable.we followed the guidelines. However I suspect in some cases it was because the dog was boisterous or largr. Not something that would botjer my dcs!
We were quite specific in our hunt particularly as we have other pets.
Had a very bad experience with a rescue dog earlier this yr. He had been fostered and apparently checked with kids but went to try to bite all of the dcs.
We have to a abandon our idea of adopting an older unwanted dog who we believed to be more worthy and have a rescue puppy instead. Really didnt wabt to go down tje puppy route but even as experienced dog owners we had to admit it was our safest option.
Anyway she isa handful but lovely. Im sad l couldnt help those older dogs but we had to do what was safest for us.

Iusedtobecarmen Thu 05-Nov-15 09:26:02

Excuse typos. Phone!

Missanneshirley Fri 06-Nov-15 20:32:22

Thank you all. Yes I'm starting to think we might end up with a pup, but in the meantime we have registered with our local lab rescue so we will see what happens. I also follow black retriever x on Facebook as they are reasonably close (we are in Scotland and they seem to be north of England? )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now