Poorly, old dog.(9 Posts)
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a decision. I've got a beautiful lovely 15 1/2 years spaniel/collie/possible other bits male dog who i love more than life itself. He's only got three legs, having his right back leg amputated when he was a puppy before I got him. He has got arthitis, and he's very stiff sometimes, although other times he's running around. I went to the vets because he peed on my bed. He's been urinating sometimes inside, but only on the floor. He's now on meds for a bladder infection. although the vet wasn't sure if he had an infection. To be honest, she possibly thought I should try it just in case, but knew the possible outcome. His weeing is only slightly better.
He's still eating and drinking, although he has never been a greedy dog. He seems happy most of the time, except when he can't move for a minute or two because of the stiffness. I live on my own, and have full responsibilty of him. My parents think I should put him to sleep. Im undecided. In the morning he's more active, wants to get up, doesn't look sad. But when he can't move, my heart breaks for him. He looks to me with puppy eyes. Obviously I want to do the right thing for him, but I don't know what that is.
If there is anyone with advice, help or guidance, I would be hugely grateful.
When you begin to doubt that he's got any quality of life left, it's probably time. If he still enjoys life and is eating and drinking as normal and not showing signs of being ill or in pain, he's probably OK for the time being. Just remember, better a week too early than a day too late. Don't keep him going for your sake, let him go for his. It's not easy, I know, this was us just last year.
yes, he's on Metecam and Synoquin for his arthritis. I wish I could ask him if he wants to go. I don't think he's in any pain; you can touch his arthritic leg and he doesn't pull away. But, he's just had another acident. I was coaxing him to the back door and he peed 1 metre inside.
Thank you for your advice.
The vet is visiting us at home today to put our 13 year old lurcher to sleep. He had tests last week which showed a diffuse liver tumour. At the start of this week he had a few ok days but Wednesday he didn't eat and yesterday had a stumble on his back legs. He is drinking lots and having overnight weeing accidents. He vomitted last night, yellow bile and was covered in it this morning.
It definitely feels the right time to let him go. I don't want to wait until he has collapsed in the garden and I can't get him back in. My heart is breaking.He has had a few meatballs this morning and we are just waiting for the vet.
I'm so sorry you're going through this too. It's heartbreaking.
It went really well, he was in his bed, very calm and it was so quick. I could stoke him until it was over and hold his head. Our other dog was in the room and came over to sniff him on his way out. He was a large dog so we are having him cremated and can scatter his ashes where we walk, we will get a little plaque for the dog memorial there too.
You will know when the time comes for your dog. Just a huge golden dog shaped hole here now.
Glad it went well. I'm so scared of my dog being anxious when the time comes, but maybe he won't be. He's had a good day today, no accidents inside. Hope you're feeling ok, I think you know when the right time comes. ??
So sorry you're facing this decision. I lost my wonderful old boy on Friday night - he had stopped eating and I then had a diagnosis of cancer so an obvious decision really.
Doesn't make it any easier though. My thoughts are with you in this horrid time
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.