Talk

Advanced search

High value toys/chews

(9 Posts)
Wotsitsareafterme Wed 28-Oct-15 13:16:23

Ok so I leave wotsitpup for a few hours now and then. He seems ok with this (I mean 3 hours or so a about 3 times a week). He is not frantic when I get back normally just wakes up slowly from a snooze.
I would like to give him something really special to chew/play with while I am out to keep him occupied.
The kong is a dead loss he doesn't try and lick the stuff out. I buy him jumbones but they don't last long.
I thought about getting something from the butcher but dp is worried he could hurt himself on a real bone? He is only 6 months.
He best chewing item is an old plastic coat hanger!

Any ideas?

Floralnomad Wed 28-Oct-15 14:33:46

My dog didn't like kongs but I got him a bionic bone from Pets at Home , it is orange rubber and has a small hole at either end to stuff , it is only a small hole so I break a gravy bone in half and stick that lengthways down to the bottom then put a small bit of ham / chicken then the other half of the gravy bone lodged in the end - I do the same both ends . He finds it nearly impossible to get the gravy bone at the bottom out - invariably we have to fish it out for him later but he likes to persevere . Personally I wouldn't leave a dog with an actual bone .

YourGutzYourGhoulzHun Wed 28-Oct-15 14:37:55

I buy Natures Menu frozen marrowbones. My dogs don't eat the bone, just the marrow in the middle and it takes them hours to get it all out. They also have antlers and a big bull horn bone from Pets At Home.

Wotsitsareafterme Wed 28-Oct-15 14:47:05

Thanks folks - we have that orange rubber bone - I put peanut butter in it - he likes it but he won't persevere with it.
He has marrowbones - licks out the visible marrow and doesn't persevere!
I don't want to give him anything risky hence looking for advice smile
I will look for the antlers though thanks smile

tabulahrasa Wed 28-Oct-15 15:45:20

Raw bones from the butcher's should be fine btw...

Also, what are you putting in the kong? because my dog will only bother with it for certain foods, otherwise he kind of licks at it halfheartedly for a few minutes then can't be bothered.

Nature's menu do frozen beef trachea and turkey necks as well as bones, they might be worth trying.

pigsDOfly Wed 28-Oct-15 19:13:58

Not really a chewing toy but I have a rubber ball for my dog that I give her to play with when I go out. It has to be pushed along with her nose in order to get the treats out.

I put small dry dog food in it that I keep just for that. I don't put much in, just enough to keep her busy for a while after I've gone, and she loves it.

She jumps around at the front door as I'm going out knowing she's getting the ball. If she was bigger I think she'd actually be hustling me out the front door.

Best thing I've ever bought for her, except for her beloved sheep.

Wotsitsareafterme Wed 28-Oct-15 19:49:49

Pigs - this was my thinking - that he has a special treat just for when I leave him. I've seen the push balls I will get one.

I put peanut butter in the Kong it was recommended in here. What else can I try?

tabulahrasa Wed 28-Oct-15 23:35:56

My dog says peanut butter isn't in fact food, lol.

He will eat mince layered with plain yoghurt and frozen and scrambled eggs, but his favourite is raw chicken, I freeze that too and he'll sit and lick away at it till it defrosts and he can get it out, peanut butter just got this hmm face.

I would use primula because that's his favourite, but he's too big and it'd take about 3 tubes to fill his kong, lol

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 28-Oct-15 23:40:19

Mine's not arsed about peanut butter but he lovrs a kong stuffed with gravy bones with rawhide twists sticking out of each end. And I "hide" chews for him to "find" while I'm out, but I only have a small house and he knows all the hiding places so that takes about 3 mins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: